Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm doing a restomod on my 68fb (stroked windsor, 4-spd, PS, PB-front disc, A/C). I can't decide on the look I want the car to have. I have a CJ hood scoop and also have a 67 short shelby hood. I don't want to do the shelby glass on the rear. I really like the 68-1/2 CJ look but can't come up with a color that I'm really crazy about if I use that hood. I don't want to screw it up by doing something too far from an original look on the exterior. Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
How about this look? http://www.cobraautomotive.com/new_prods/67_68r_apron03.jpg
Keeping the rear stock. No side scoops. Add the GT fog light grill. Color a deep blue or 67 acapulco blue. No stripes. All chrome in a high luster and all the brake lenses new. That would give it a clean resto mod look.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
3,570 Posts
WOW! That is Farrgin NICE! :biggrin:
I picked my color at the local paint store. I thumbed thru the paint books and came up with a Jaguar white. SPINDRIFTER WHITE. It Looked lime green coming out of the can.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
3,570 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
Great find. Those colors are a sweet match you almost never see. I thnk your 68FB would look unbelievable with bright white paint and a silver or grey c-stripe. I would stay away from the lemans stripes IMO.

I considered going that route with my coupe, but wasn't sure I'd like the grey stripe with grey wheels.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I'ver always liked the white with silver stripe. The problem is that if the white is too clean or bright, it makes the silver look like battleship gray. You've got to have something in the strip that will jump out and either overpower the white or compliment it better and not look so muted. That's why most stripes you see are a stark contrast, like black stripes on a white car or white stripes on a red car. The whiter the car, the brighter the stripe must be. I did a 64 Vette for a guy years ago. It was a custom done in the early 70's with a white body and a brown or rootbeer stripe with a dark tan interior. Big flares and chrome sider pipes with wide cragars. Sure it looked good for the time, but the colors were ugly by today's standards. BUT he wanted to keep the same theme. So I painted it a very clean white with a huge speedboat type metalflake silver stripe. (like a bass boat!) It was about 12" wide with a 1/2" stripe down both sides. Buried it in clear so you could see it but not feel it. I also installed a factory bright silver interior in the car. This was in the mid 80's. He still has that car and it still looks like the day I finished it. When he takes to to shows people can't believe that is was done in 85 because it looks like a fresh idea, not something old. I like the idea of going with a yellower white, like a whimbleton white and using a bright metallic silver (with some pearl) single wide stripe with two thin stripes at the side. The Supersnake stripes are ugly because the side stripes are too wide. If you want more eye candy pop, go with a bright white and very sparkly bright silver stripe and chrome wheels.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow! Didn't know that. From the pics it appeared to be a very nice job. The engine looked awesome as well. My favorite car of the auction.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
eagle24, I would use the CJ bolt on hood scoop & paint the car Autumn Orange color from a 99 Explorer Sport.

·
Registered
619 Posts
We thought about this for a long time, started with cobalt blue and white stripes, then the ol lady wanted red w/ white , but too many of those, then whitew/ black thenb lack w/ yellow.. after much back and forth i just bought the paint and started painting and she loves it, only thing i dont like is almost everyone calls it an eleonor paint job, not what i was going for.. web pagethe project

1 - 18 of 18 Posts