Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dad went to look at them and didn’t know where to find the casting numbers. They’re claimed to be mustang 289 and “427 Mark 2” but I think he meant Mach 2. Can someone help?

Attachments

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The blue engine is a 351W, can't tell exactly what year, early I'm going to say. The other one with the trans appears to be a 302. The transmission is a C6. The only time from the factory a 302 would have a C6 is if it came out of a truck. So it could have come out of a truck or someone bolted a truck C6 to a passenger car 302.

427 Mark II is a Chevy engine. Nothing special about either of those engines. I'd pay no more then $300 for everything. Basically they're core value. You have no information on them. They're just generic base versions and you have no clue as to their condition or even if they will run at all. I wouldn't attempt to start the. As they have been open to dust and dirt.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You all are amazing! I’m at my neighbor’s house or id reply longer. My son wants a v8 in his 65. I’m comfortable with doing the work except for machining. Would I be on the plus side if I bought the 289 for less than $100? I assume 289 is a 289 - it’ll fit??

·
Registered
35,858 Posts
The smaller engine is a 289/302, and I'm leaning toward 289 since the balancer, poorly seen, appears to be the smaller 289 unit. The manifold number in this case does not help, as both Mustang and Fairlane used that number. It is a 289 manifold, regardless of car. The 351W C9OE-B looks like this-

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Without knowing more or taking a head off it be a gamble at any price. If thats been exposed to the elements for a long span the cylinders may be pitted or rusted beyond repair. You can try turning it with a breaker bar, but even if it turns it’s no guarantee it’s usable. For 50 I’d probably chance it, if it was turnable.

·
Registered
9,827 Posts
Casting numbers are on the passenger side lower rear of the block where the starter would be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts