Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an autolite carb that came with parts for my car when I bought it but there were two different engines included with the parts and I don't know if this carb was for either of the engines or not. The ID tag has Autolite C7AF AD and below that is C 6JC.
I'm trying to find out what it fits and the CFM size to see if I can use it on my 289 or not. Hopefully someone here can identify it.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
428 Auto. It's the small venturi 4300 so it will work fine on a small block.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Sounds to me like a 67 t-bird Q code carb.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wouldn't it be too much carb for a 289 then if it's for a Q code 428? I was trying to decide between rebuilding this one and using it or just going with a holley 600.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Shelby put dual quads on the 289. I've seen three Webbers too. Cam choice plays a role though.

PS: I still lust after your white 427 fastback since you posted it in the for sale section months ago.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
441 CFM, that's pretty small for a 428! It should work ok on the 289 then I guess. Thanks for all the replies.
Dusty, the fastback is coming along nicely although this cold weather has slowed the progress a lot. I just listed it in the wanted section trying to find out if someone would be willing to trade a 67,68 or 69 GT350 for it. I don't really want to lose it but I want a shelby pretty bad. Never hurts to ask around.

·
Registered
5,397 Posts
Keep in mind the 4300's were emissions carbs, not performance carbs. I have a C9ZF-D which is correct for a 69 Shelby GT 350 - and just about every other 351W with an auto behind it. You would have thought Ford would have sprung for at least a Holley.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for that info. Although this 289 certainly won't be a performance engine, I may still be better off just buying a new holley for it so it has at least a little get up and go.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts