Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short version of the story - I ordered an Edelbrock top end kit for my 289 rebuild, and handed the intake to my painter, which was supposed to be a Performer 289 intake. He later discovered it was a Chevy part (tip: check new parts!) and got me a replacement. He ground off the markings before painting, but I'm pretty sure it's another Edelbrock part. I can't ID it from looking, I don't have the box, and the shop isn't opening anytime soon.

Note the blue arrows at the two threaded ports at the back along with the connecting passage. This doesn't seem to match the Performer 289 intake pics I find online.

What is this thing?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I'm curious as to why he ground off the markings? At first glance, it almost looks like an old Weiand intake by the curvature of the runners, but I couldn't find an exact match. I found several that had bosses both in the rear, but only one side drilled and tapped. Did he tell you it was a used piece, or new?

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
It looks like this one:

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4spd
737 Posts
I don't think that's an Edelbrock as noted above. Wonder what happened to the one you gave him? Suspicious.

Chris

Reactions: rhutt

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts
Yes, COVID-19 is muddying the situation. How long has it been since you received it and installed? BTW, I hope that paint holds up. I had mine ceramic coated.....18 years ago. Still looking pretty good for its age.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Definitely not the same as my Edlebrock Performer

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Yeah, definitely not a Performer 289. They don't have the rear coolant crossover. Like the others have pointed out, it's probably a Typhoon. The good news is, if you've seen the latest episode of Engine Masters, the Typhoon outperformed the Performer manifold, so you've got a better performing manifold.

·
Registered
5,018 Posts
Wonder how the painter ground off all the markings when it appears this particular manifold didn't come with any markings? :(

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's the one - a Typhoon. Thanks for the assist, all!

The original Chevy manifold got repainted black and put out on the shops retail floor space. Still sitting there last I saw. I assumed he replaced it with another Edelbrock b/c that's what I had, but apparently not. Nice to see it was a move in the right direction.

Of course, now I have to go double check the manifold-to-hood clearance to make sure I get a proper height air clearer. It's always something...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Most intake manifolds have either a name or a part number on the bottom if you take it off..Not sure if you want to go threw that but just a thought. If you know someone that has a bore scope you may be able to get it under there to see..

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nope, I don't want to open that up until I see the inevitable leaks after first start-up. Now, once I pull the manifold off, I promise I'll check for the markings and post back here with results ;)

·
Premium Member
11,389 Posts
I thought I was the only one that painted my engines and trans Ford red. I also grind off all markings on most of my intakes. Its weird looking. but if it works good use it. Way better than a 60's Edlebrock trantula.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts