Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, not the gold one in my sig, but the white one on the trailer. It is a San Jose, D-code, coupe (one of 250,000). I saved it two times from the scrap yard, and stashed it in my neighbor's barn for the past couple of years. Now the property is being sold and it needs to leave.

Here is what I have:
both original doors (complete with glass)
both fenders (one original, one off a 66)
original hood
original trunk lid
original back window
original seats (front and back)
rear interior qrt trim
alot of trim pieces
a fresh re-built 66 289
original wiring
other misc stuff

Needs:
both qtrs srtaightend out (they are solid, but banged up)
part of both front floors (from sitting outside for who knows how long)
transmission
lots of details

The big NEED:
The front is tweeked to the passenger side from being hit in DS corner. I can't fix the floors until this is fixed. The impact cruched the DS front section of the inner apron and the rear section of the PS. Also, there is a buckle in the PS floor where it rises to the firewall.

I hate to part out a car with a title. I want to take it to a shop and have the srtaightened it out and a new radiator apron installed. Then I would fix the inner fender aprons, floors and qtrs, hang the doors and fenders, install the back glass and widshield, scuff it and spray the whole thing with Zero-Rust and find a place to stash it for 5-10 years.

Am I nuts? Should I just let it donate it parts to others and get rid of the shell?

Help me. :p

G

·
If it was mine I would keep it and fix it. I know that its just a coupe yada yada.. It seems like a solid project.

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
please look again, wrong photo. duh.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
I can't see the photos whle at work but from what i have read I would try to keep the car. If the cr is kept for 5 to 10 years then it's value will or should go up making it a nice project to have. The money gained from selling the parts won't equal the cost of replacing the car later down the road. I base this on the current invest of the car being low and the cost to store it for another 5 to 10 years is close to nothing.

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
rtm, that makes alot of sense to me.

car 2, scrap yard 0

G

·
Whoa I must have answered before you put the updated pic? When I answered the only pic I saw was the goldish 65. Let me look......ah I would still keep it. You can't have much invested into it right? So whats it going to hurt to have it sit around? Just sayin'

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Let's see, you've got a plain jane run of the mill Coupe that needs the quarters straightened (or replaced?), door work, floor work and frame work. After the structural issues are addressed, plan on at least $2k to get it back to a DD status. The little things like new weatherstripping and carpet add up quickly.

Am I nuts?
Most of us here aren't qualified to answer this question, but I'll give it a shot.

Yes.

Not every Mustang was meant to be resurrected... and this is one of them.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are correct, as of this moment, I have zero $ invested. I guess I'm thinking about what to do to it (if anything) before storing it away. The tricky part is that I have lost my free, indoor, storage. It may end up outside.

That is why I'm thinking about repairing the structure and coating it with zero-rust. That would cost me around $500-700. I don't think I can straighten the front rails myself. I don't have a clue how to do it and guarantee it is straight when I'm done.

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
car 2, scrap yard 1

Thanks Dave, I actually thought your answer would be "I want to see you fix this in your garage, by yourself." Those were your words to me years ago on another car. I listened, and you were right. I found that I am capable of doing things I didn't think I could, but the new question is "should I?"

Now you really have me thinking...

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
id keep it - but look at my sig pic...

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
years ago on another car
I remember... damn, that was a long time ago, huh? The car was damaged in shipping IIRC?

I am capable of doing things I didn't think I could
This doesn't mean that you should. In a perfect world, every Mustang would be "worth" bringing back to life, the reality is that this isn't true.

Dave

·
Premium Member
1965 Coupe
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yep, about 5+ years ago. I know I need to get realistic on the 'should' part. I'm in no rush to decide.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I would part it out and make a little money instead of losing a whole lot. Then stick that money into the car in your sig pic.

Like Dave said, not every Mustang is worth saving. Then again, he is a malicious coupe-hater ;) :lol:

So make the score 2-2

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
My thought process may be different than others, but if its going to cost you money for a new storage place (indoors, outside will cost you a lot more in the long run, especially in Michigan) than part it out. If you can store it for next to nothing like you have been with the barn (I assume), keep it. If you can use the parts for other projects, keep them. Or like others have said, use the money for your other project.

·
Registered
838 Posts
I would keep it if you have the room! If not give me your address and I'll have the trailer there in a week! Id keep it unless if its a hassle. keep 3 junkyard 2.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I may be the odd ball here, but I much prefer the lines of the "plain Jane" coupe over the fastback. I would save that sucker if I could afford to do so. That would mean buying a few gallons on POR 15 and a new breathable cover to store it in the back yard yard up on stands through the winter, then hit the project next Spring. Never ever send a perfectly good classic Mustang body to the crusher. That is blasphemy in the classic Mustang world.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I would keep it. If i have kept my 72 then you should keep tht coupe. Keep 4 Scrapyard 2

G

·
Gingerstang said:
I may be the odd ball here, but I much prefer the lines of the "plain Jane" coupe over the fastback. I would save that sucker if I could afford to do so. That would mean buying a few gallons on POR 15 and a new breathable cover to store it in the back yard yard up on stands through the winter, then hit the project next Spring. Never ever send a perfectly good classic Mustang body to the crusher. That is blasphemy in the classic Mustang world.
I think this is the first time I have agreed with Gingerstang :p

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
keep-6 scrap-2

·
Registered
1965 Honey Gold A-Code Coupe
413 Posts
I'd keep it if I had the storage and KNEW I'd have the motivation (and funds) to get the project going in the future.

When it comes down to it, there are fewer and fewer classic Mustangs on the road. If not you, then someone will want that car 5-10 years from now... coupe, convertible or fastback.

But then again, that's coming from a "plain jane" coupe owner. ;)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts