Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a bunch of research for prices on-line I visited my local speed shop and they actually had the best price around for new Torque Thrust II's. I need help getting the right size tire to avoid rubbing and avoid the "hot wheels" look. Here's what I currently have, and the look and fit is great;

Front - 15x7 225/60/15
Shelby drop
Granada swap

Rear - 15x8 235/60/15

I have ordered 17x7 front and 17x8 rear TTII wheels. The shop suggested 235/45/17 on the back (sounds good to me) but 205 or 215/45/17 on the front. Sounds a bit weak to me. I consulted the wheel and tire chart - somebody is running a 235/45 on an 8" rim up front. My main concern is rubbing, I have had problems before and nothing ruins a great car more than rubbing tires, and it's damn annoying too.

I guess I'm a bit confused at this point........not sure what to ask......I know the 235 will fit the rear, can I run a 225/45/17 on the front without rubbing (assuming correct backspacing, which I don't know but they measured at the shop today)?

Bah, I'll probably go have a couple of beers and this'll all start making sense in a secon, I think those guys down at the shop confused me by saying I need to run a 205 or 215 on the front. Any thoughts?

UPDATE - front bs is 4", while rear is 4.75".

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great, that's good info. And you're running 4.75" backspacing, right?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I have 17 x 7 w 4" BS upfront with wilwood disc's I have run 225/45 17 on the front for a while in the past and did not have any rubbing. I have installed 215/45 17 tires on the front. I didn't like the look of the 225's on the front, they seemed too large in the opening.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all of you guys for your opinions and advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts