Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had the standard instrument panel with the idiot light. Well I bought a instument panel with tach. I was able to get the lights, fuel gauge, etc. converted over and working, but I can not figure out where the two wires on the tach goes to. I know that or assume that one of the wires goes to the dist. side of the coil, but not sure about the other wire.

G

·
0 Posts
Go to www.mustangsandmore.com . Then go to the technical section. Theres a page in there devoted to your situation.It also tells you how to hook up a center guage cluster - just don't waste your time on the ammeter hook up - it doesn't work and I speak from experience.
Have you figured out your cluster plug situation.You realize they're different. The idiot light plug is bigger(about 1/2 inch longer). You can use your "idiot light" plug, just shorten it. Wiring is fairly easy(it helps to have the 71/72 wiring book - it shows most of what you'll need(the 73 specific book won't help you here). I did the swap about a year ago.E mail me if you get stuck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes, That is exactly what I did. Cut it off a little and it works perfect. The tach is what the problem is. I'll check that site out also. I am in Ga. also.

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
If you dig into the harness directly beneath the tach, find the red with white(?) tracer wire(same as the tach leads), which is your ignition power wire. Cut it and hook it up to the tach. Do not crimp on any bullet ends until you have verified that the tach operates correctly. In the back of the Haynes V-8 Mustang manaul is an excellent set of diagrams, the 71 is easy to read, the 72 is much more complete.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts