Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all,

Posting this on the regular board rather than the mod and custom board, because I'd like a broad range of opinions.

GIVEN: I've sourced a pair of these vintage 80's aftermarket Recaro Front buckets that need recovering and they are definitely going in my Red '65 Convertible (with standard black upholstery), which of the following would you prefer to see the seats done in, or what do you find least objectionable:

1. All black vinyl like the original seat.

2. Black vinyl around the outside with a cloth inset in the center (similar to the comfort weave seats).

3. Same as 2 EXCEPT a red cloth section running horizontal on one section of the seat near the top of the seat back.

These are going to be recovered next week, and I have to tell the upholstery guy how I want them. We've talked about all 3 and he can do whatever I want. I know what I'm leaning towards, but I won't say so I won't affect any of your opinions.

See pictures below:

Phil

Attachments

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
If it has to be black then go with the cloth insert in the center... your butt will appreciate it on those hot summer days. When I was in high school, I had black vinyl with a gray cloth insert in my Cobra II without AC. It looked nice and I didn't feel like I would catch on fire when I jumped in.

david

·
Registered
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1,218 Posts
I also would go with cloth is the center section. A couple ideas to throw out for you. A) Can he stitch the center section cloth and add ribs with the same spacing as the rear OEM seat? Can he reupholster the rear to match the front? I hope the foam is still ok.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,583 Posts
Agree with the others - cloth insert if you can make it in the stock pattern! I wouldn't put a red stripe on it (I'm imagining you're visualizing the Mach 1 seat stripes, right?) unless it was on the rear seats as well, or if you had red somewhere else in the interior.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Cloth center for sure. It also helps with not sliding around when taking turns are a higher rate of speed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts