Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have a new rebuilt 289. it is probubly a 66 block. everything is pretty much new except the outside metal. i have been tring to start this engine for the last 4 days. distrubutor has petronix.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
umm after trying to start it for the last 5 days. it has shown some signes of life it back fires and it recently stoped shooting gas out of the carb. and today it seemed like it fired for a second. just wanted to get some opinions by you guys.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what i know: it is getting spark because i have taken out the number 1 spark plug and grounded it to the block and it does spark. their is gas getting to the carb. the firing order is correct. Everything else is under question.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Basics??? Distributor's turning? Compression? Cam timing, spark timing? If everything's correct and you have spark it should at least fire with starting fluid.

·
Registered
35,835 Posts
umm after trying to start it for the last 5 days. it has shown some signes of life it back fires and it recently stoped shooting gas out of the carb. and today it seemed like it fired for a second. just wanted to get some opinions by you guys.
Sounds like the distributor is 180° "off". Been there.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What i think could be the problem:
1. Timing is off
2. mixture is to rich/lean to fire
3. oil in cylinder which would also cause it to not fire
4. bad new spark plug wire?

·
Premium Member
10,940 Posts
pull the dist and reinstal with the rotor 180 deg opposite. if you know someone with a Mopar you could see if they would lend you a rotor from a 318-360 and try it and see if it cranks. a mopar rotor is just like a ford small cap rotor but the keyway is 180 deg opposite. it sure sounds like the dist rotor aint in the right position. btw if you know someone with a mopar and want to mess with them just switch the rotor out ! :shocked:

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,627 Posts
Jeez, how'd come across that nugget of info? Next trip to parts store I'm getting such a Mopar rotor to put in my Ford "special tool" stash box.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well guys i the backfire is a bad thing but i am saying that because it is proving something in my case. What i am trying to prove with the back fire is that i am getting ignition and that usualy when i am cranking it i dont smell exhaust i only smell gas i believe. so sence it backfired i reset the timing to what i believee was TDC compression stroke it was TDC but it could or couldnt be the compression stroke i had my dad feel for the compression stroke on the spark plug at number 1 cylinder. then got the cap and rotor as close to the number one spark plug wire as possible.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
Sounds like you're 180 off on the distributor.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
but yea it only seems like i am getting ignition only part of the time because i only smell gas and not the exhaust possibly that is why it only ingnites part of the time and when it does it causes the backfire. that is why i was lead to say that the mixture was too rich i would say because i smell so much gas.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
but you guys might be right because when it backfires it shoots flames which would mean that when i get ignition it is in the exhaust stroke and when it ignites it shoots out the headers while still igniting. and it only firing some times may be the cause because it is accualy to lean and when i add the perfect amount of gas it ignites. but yea tommarow i will have to try to start it with starter fluid because i dont have any.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Turn your distributor 180 degrees, or if your out more or less then that and cant find the compression stroke, lift the distributor go over one tooth try it, and keep doing that till it runs. But best bet is to find compression stroke and install distributor, that's pretty basic timing. Also look for a mark on your crank damper for TDC, that might exist it might not,worth taking a look

·
Registered
357 Posts
22GT said: "Sounds like the distributor is 180° "off"..."

69shelbycoupe said: "Is is set at TDC on the number one cylinder at the end of the compression stroke?"

supershifter2 said: "pull the dist and reinstal with the rotor 180 deg opposite."

maxum96 said: "Sounds like you're 180 off on the distributor."

ford_jake said: "Turn your distributor 180 degrees..."

hmmmm.... I'm starting to see a trend here...do you see it too?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea i just reset it right now well like a hour ago to TDC on number one cylinder i put my finger inside and can feel the piston and i turn my finger over and i dont feel any valves. so yea it is reset but yea if i think about it the solution previously would be to turn it 180 and i think that that is probubly still going to stand after i changed it as well. because now it is in TDC 1st cylinder rotor linned up with 1st cylinder spark plug wire. so i will try to get it to run tommarow and let you guys know. because i think that if it doesnt work that the 180 will work.

·
Registered
520 Posts
yea i just reset it right now well like a hour ago to TDC on number one cylinder i put my finger inside and can feel the piston and i turn my finger over and i dont feel any valves. so yea it is reset but yea if i think about it the solution previously would be to turn it 180 and i think that that is probubly still going to stand after i changed it as well. because now it is in TDC 1st cylinder rotor linned up with 1st cylinder spark plug wire. so i will try to get it to run tommarow and let you guys know. because i think that if it doesnt work that the 180 will work.

You need to make sure you are on compression stroke. I am not sure that feeling for valves is a very positive way to do this. Put your finger over the plug hole and crank the motor over until you feel pressure. I use a solenoid shorting button for this to get it in the ball park then manually rotate it to the top using a big ratchet. This is the only real way to be sure you are on the compression stroke.

Once you do this, pull your cap make sure your rotor is pointing to #1 plug. If it is not, then you can either pull and rotate your distributor, or rotate your wires so that the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire; restart your firing order from your new reference. Getting a distributor perfect can be a giant pain in the a$$, so rotating wires can be a decent solution. If you prefer to have them match the manual, at least it is a good troubleshooting tool.

Jafo

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
You need to remove the passenger side valve cover and watch the rocker arms. With the engine in what you think is TDC, rotate the engine. The next valve to open on the first cylinder should be the exhaust valve. If the exhaust valve begins to open then you were at TDC. If not, you were 180* out.

When setting the timing, get the timing pointer lined up the the degree number that you want in timing advance. For example, if you want 6* of timing advance, put the pointer on the 6* mark then line the distributor rotor up exactly with the #1 plug. This is how I do it and it usually gets me very very close.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
lol the mechanicals are lying to me it seems like. yesterday i reset the timing and then used starting fluid just about a hour ago. it backfired once which means that it is 180 off i am not trusting the readings on this car because something is up with that dampener. and yes i did feel for the compression stroke but it is just not working out so i am just going to go with what the enigne is telling me rather than the readings. the engine is telling me the same thing you guys are is that it is firing in the TC of the exhaust stroke. so i am going to try to get a mopar rotor and run that. i will tell you guys what happens.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts