Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On June 2nd, I am moving to Minnesota to work for Old Dutch Potato Chips. Here's my problem, I want to trailer my 67 convertible so I rented a Uhaul one way auto transport. I have a 2001 Tahoe with the towing package. Can I go faster than the 45mph posted limit? Can/should I put a cover on my car while being trailered? I'm driving from Seattle. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Do not ever put a cover on a car to trailer on an open trailer unless you have an old paint job,and are going to repaint.You can't stop it from flapping at the edges,and it will beat the car to H.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I think I'd observe the Uhaul speed limit if you trailer it.

How about driving it? If you have another person driving the Uhaul truck with furniture etc. you can lead or follow.
Don't know if your mustang is auto or manual trans., but be aware that the Uhaul car "pullers" that support only the car's front wheels can damage an auto car's rear if the driveshaft is not disconnected first. (at least I was told that)

One other idea - if you do go with a trailer, I don't think I'd use a standard car cover. It will drive you crazy flapping and maybe even rip eventually. I see that new cars being transported are wrapped/covered with plastic. I don't know if this is simply industrial saran wrap (like they wrap pallets with) or a contact stick sheet, but it seems like a better idea than a standard cover if you can get your hands on some.

If you're new company is looking for a head "chip tester" I hereby volunteer!!

Good luck - Dickson

1965 GT fastback / "Fastbasketcase" (by Midlife)
There's a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness" - Dave Barry

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
You are going to love Minnesota!

Car guys everywhere! The Minnesota Street Rod Association has a meet every year at the State Fair Grounds in St. Paul that has about 9,000 very cool cars. It is fantastic!

Moving up there myself in a few years!

Gene J

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1584519&a=12110688&p=43875040&Sequence=1&res=high.jpg
66 Coupe/66 Convert/84 GT Turbo/96 coupe

Gene's cars

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Geeeeez, you're leaving the Mariners for the Twins, Goooooood Luck! Have a safe move.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback about the car cover. Can I get more about the speed limit? 45mph is just too slow. I pulled the same trailer when I moved out here with a 20 foot Ryder truck and drove about 70 the whole way with no problems at all. I just wonder if the feel will be different with a smaller tow vehicle (even though the Tahoe is a pretty large truck). Thanks again.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The Tahoe ought ot handle the load, my guess is the big concern would be brakes. Does the trailer have surge brakes? Unless you are equipped for electric and so is the trailer, they are probably surge. You ought to be able to handle 65 with their trailer. The recommended max probably protects them (U-Haul) somehow. I can cruise at 65 with my trailer easily, just make sure you have enough weight on the trailer tongue that it doesn't start whipping on you. Good luck and welcome to the state of 10,000 lakes and seemingly endless winters. Where are you moving to? I live in a Minneapolis suburb, Maple Grove.

Jim Gates
72 Mach 1 - 460, C6
65 Olds 4-4-2, 400 ci, 4-sp
71 Dart Swinger 340 - Project in the queue

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How do I know how much weight is on the tongue? Do I just move the car around on the trailer until the load seems heavy enough? Trailer is mechanical brakes.

I am moving to Lino Lakes. It's a nice quick commute to the office from there. I moved from Minnesota about 4 years ago so I know what I'm getting myself into. Nice people, great city, cold winters, humid buggy summers.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
You might want to look into having the car shipped. The average cost is about $700, but you run alot less risk if your car being damaged and it's one less thing to worry about during the move.

1966 GT Convertible (see it at:http://www.geocities.com/tbeamguard/66GT.html)
1969 Sportsroof (which is For Sale, by the way)
2000 Explorer XLT (daily driver)
2002 Explorer XLT (wife's)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did. $1100 was the lowest bid among 5 bidders. Wasn't worth it. As long as I can drive 60mph, I'll be fine. No cover works for me too, I just don't want it stolen while I'm sleeping.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You will enjoy Minnesota. There are a few Mustang and Ford only shows plus the street rod show at the State Fair grounds is aways fun.

Let us know when you arrive and we can get together.

rick
66 coupe
Minneapolis

1 - 14 of 14 Posts