Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
me and my stang got spun around in heavy rain and it ended up in a ditch. front fender, bumber, and rear quarter panel damage as well as some damage to the front suspension....figured its toast.

hoping to get some good advice while dealing with the insurance company so i don't get screwed. it was a 302 C4 with factory air and power steering, i added power disc brakes and upgraded the suspension. even had some recent work done on it to make sure everything was in order like the rear end and u-joints. it needed a paint job cause the clear coat started to peel. i will miss my car, i've had it for 14 years.

any help would be appreciated....i'm in nor cal, 1 hour south of sacramento, thanks!

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
What type of insurance do you have. Standard or collector car?

·
Registered
337 Posts
What year is it? Depending on how good you are with tools, most things on one of these is repairable. If they do total it, See if you can buy it back cheap. Then you can take your time and make the repairs. We have alot of members in your part of the country. Maybe one of them can look your car over to see if it is repairable.
Kerry

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, i will defineately keep that in mind since i have right to first salvage. hopefully there is someone close by that would be willing to look it over.

·
Administrator
13,027 Posts
We have alot of members in your part of the country. Maybe one of them can look your car over to see if it is repairable.
Put up a post in the NorCal forum in case someone there didn't see your post here. I'm sure someone can help out.
Stan

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I'm in Sonoma County and can look at it for you if you're somewhat close. I'm ill with whatever (sick for the first time in over 10 years). Send me a pm if I can help - might be a few days though. Glad you're ok.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
If you've had the car for that long and don't want to see it go then buy it back and rebuild it. With the amount of parts out there for these cars there's no reason it can't be saved. You just have to commit to it if you still want the car.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys,...i'll post in the nor cal section. right now i'm still waiting to hear from the insurance company since its at the shop. my main concern is getting the proper value for my car...i don't want to be sucker punched if you know what i mean.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i hear you...although i forgot to mention its a 1970 coupe....kind of a black sheep in the classic mustang market.

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Make sure you have all paper work that you have on repairs on hand to let the insurance adjuster see what you have stuck into the car.

·
Registered
8,018 Posts
Anything short of a pretzel can be repaired these days. Check my website for some pictures of my Mustang's repair process. I was in a wreck that damaged the hood, grille, both front fenders, one rear quarter, etc. I also replaced all the rust issues at the same time. There is not a lot of original sheet metal left. The cowl is still original and small bits of the rear quarters where we attached the skins.

John Harvey

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
The big question is how the car was insured.

Since you ran off the road, I'm hoping that you had collison coverage on the car. If not, you're screwed.

Did you ever sit down with your insurance agent and discuss what would happen in this event?

Have you been paying low dollar premiums and now expect a high dollar return? With the insurance industry, you usually get what you pay for... well, you get more if you pay more, but not more if you pay less.

I hope everything works out for you, but we have very limited information to help you.

I recommend that everyone sit down with their insurance agent and run through every possible scenario imaginable, that way this question never comes up.

Good Luck,
Dave

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
What shop is the car at? I'm familiar with a couple in that area. If you have an NPD or other supplier's catalog, you can get a rough idea on the repo price of your damaged items. Body work is pretty pricey, approx $75/hour in that area, but you can possibly save the car from being a total by doing some of the work yourself, or if's definitely a total, saving some $$ by have the body shop do only the work you have no equipment for (for example welding on a 1/4 panel).

You can check some of the ad's in the "For Sale" section to get an approx value of your veh. 70 coupes normally don't bring big bucks unless they are a CJ.

I can check the car if it will help, there is also a VMF'r who lives in Suisun City too.

Good luck.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
SAC69 said:
there is also a VMF'r who lives in Suisun City too.

Good luck.
70sportsroof. He just started up his Mustang repair shop. Hey, I've even got his business card. :)

Frank

·
Registered
200 Posts
Have you got any pics of the damage?

Johnny

·
Registered
127 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss. I have "totalled" mine twice in 20 years. Once in 1990 in the rain, and once in 1996.

Both times, I got the insurance company to not "total" it and pay for the repairs becuase it was a classic. I was with State Farm back then. Of course they dropped me after the second time.

Good luck - its nice to know there were no injuries.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts