Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a new suspension in my '66 V-8 coupe and noticed upon disassembly that there is almost an inch of shims between the upper control arm shaft and the frame. What is the correct measurement between the shock towers and what would be the reference point? Also, would a "monte carlo" bar or export brace be my only fix?

G

·
0 Posts
the shims are there to align the front end. im afraid ur stuck with them. as far as i know anyways. mines the same way so i wouldnt worry about it.

Corpus Christi TX

·
Registered
88 Posts
An inch of spacer? Really? I just rebuilt my from suspension and had the front end aligned. The alignment shop was able to bring the car into spec without any spacers. I can only conclude by that the an inch of spacer would mean a horrible out of wack front end. Good Luck

Enjoying a life long love of cars...zoom zoom zoom

·
Registered
487 Posts
Actually, a "Monte Carlo" bar could potentially cause a need for more shims. And it sounds like you don't have room for any more.

Just my humble mis-informed opinion.....

Dang! Just when I got used to being "strange", I became a "newbie", then a "tire-kicker". Now I'm a "beginner"?.....hmmmmmm...where do I start?

·
Registered
6,163 Posts
Hi, the monte carlo bar might help because when installed it pushes the shock towers apart thus less shims. John

Opal frost pearl metallic 67 coupe http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/febef75b01.JPG
also have a 95 opal frost pearl G/T BOSS edition convertible belongs to swmbo

G

·
0 Posts
so im not supposed to have a bunch of shims either. crap!!! its always something.

Corpus Christi TX

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
If you've got a 67 or newer, you shouldn't have any spacers. In 67 they went to the concentric on the lower control arm instead of spacing out the upper control arm.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
67's have an alignment cam on the lower control arm. The 65-66 MUST use shims at the upper A-arm. 67-68 would only use spacers up there to adjust caster, where camber and caster are adjusted on a 65-66 at the upper A-arm. When I pulled my upper A-arms to do the Shelby mod, I had about 5/8 inch of spacers. I would recommend though that you get a monte carlo bar. If you are serious about perfromance (read as roadrace) get the export brace also.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=12409371&p=45488890&Sequence=0.jpg

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Shims on a 65/66 are used to move the upper control arm mounting points away from the vehicle. If the engine compartment is caving in, more shims would be required to compensate.

Is there evidence that your Mustang has been in an accident? You might want to have a competent body shop check the straightness of the frame. You can take some rudimentary measurements yourself, criss-crossing the undercarriage. Maybe someone can take some measurements of their Mustang and you can compare notes.

Inspect the engine compartment sheetmetal for stress cracks. Give her a good wash down and get a very bright light, maybe a small halogen work light.

A Monte Carlo bar might help, but an inch sounds excessive.

What about the gap between the fender and hood? Should be about 3/16". Does it close and latch properly?

[color:blue]
1967 Acapulco Blue coupe
302 4V, C4, 9" 3.25:1
Torq-Thrust "D" 225-60-14
1968 PDB, Corbeau
LeCarra, Alpine in-dash CD
http://www.geocities.com/mlnielsen_67/index.htm
WEBSITE UPDATED 3/25/01
</font color=blue>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts