Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the situation I'm in: I have a '66 fastback with a 302 and 351C heads. It puts out a little over 300hp (probably 315-320), but my transmission (C4) and differential are still stock. As far as I know I still have stock rear end gears which should be 2.80. I would love to swap out to more in the 3.50 range with some sort of limited slip differential, but I only get about 15mpg now and I hesitate to make that worse. So I have been looking into swapping out my C4 for a beefed up AOD, but I'm told that on carborated engines the AOD's don't perform well and have heard of other problems also. I have also been looking into a unit made by a company called GearVendors which basically goes into your driveshaft behind the C4. The unit basically doubles your forward moving gears by giving you an overdrive in each gear. I could put in 3.55's and get gas mileage as if I had 2.70 gears. This is what I'm leaning towards, but it costs about $2800 (and that's without putting in my rear end gears and diff). Then someone told me I should consider putting in a T-5 and since I love driving stick this sounded great to me. Does anyone know what the complete conversion would run approximately and how much i could possibly sell my old C4 for. Any opinions in any area of this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
You need a bunch of stuff. flywheel, clutch, P.plate, bellhousing, trans. drive shaft
clutch pedal-to-throwout bearing parts. If you get a package deal from a junkyard 5.0
wreck and figure out the clutch I'll bet a smart guy (oops,gal) like you could do the whole thing for
1500 and a few weekends.
In my opinion there is nothing like a stick shift in these cars. gotta have one.
jimbo

M.C.A.# 50000
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1575692&a=11979479&p=43517165.jpg<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by eljimb0 on 03/13/01 02:03 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
What do you plan on doing with the car.....??

If it's just some spirited street driving....the AOD and a 11" converter (I think someone makes performance converters for those*G*) would get the nod from me...

If you don't intend to increase the horsepower above 350 and do intend to keep street tires on the car, the 8" will serve you well...

Save the GV overdrive for your truck....way overkill....

Probably would have 1.5K tied up in a auto to stick conversion including extraneous parts (unless you already have everything except the trans).

C4 will bring 50-100 in most markets...

Personally, I'd just stick with the C4, put in a 11 or 10" converter, depending on the build state of the engine, and go with a 3.25 or 3.50 rear gear in the 8".....you'll get plenty of bang for the buck without major surgery....

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.