Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was on my wasy home from the VMOA Mustang show in Milpitas California on Saturday and I noticed some bad heavy smoke from my exhaust. I had been told be Eric (66_GT_FB) that I was blowing smoke from my right exhaust earlier in the day. At the time I just considered it the answer to my oil consumption. But the drive home it really started to bellow heavy. It seems like it is running rough, staggers or hesitates during casual driving (<40mph) . It has stopped the excess smoke screen during shifts but maybe its all in my mind but it just doesn't seem right.

Does someone know of a good engine tuner/rebuilder in the SF south bay that could give me some honest answers?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Boy...I sure wish we could have hooked up on Saturday. I think I qualified for the doofus since I went to the Great Mall on Saturday...drove all around that thing for 4-5 laps...could not find anyone and went home. Still dont know what happened.

Anyhow, I am having my 289 rebuilt by http://www.ralphsmachine.com
Talk to Andy (and tell him Don Metzger referred you...) and he will give you an honest reply. Note, I learned of Andy via another VMF'r, Kent Ketell.

BTW, they are located right behind San Jose Arena...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I was on my wasy home from the VMOA Mustang show in Milpitas California

I think I spotted you toward the end of the show. I hadn't recognized your car, but as we were getting ready to leave I spotted you next to your car and made the connection from the VMF Cruise that Shaun put together.

Sorry I didn't get a chance to stop by and say hi. I was in the red '66 coupe second to the end of the row.

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
How about Charlie's Mustangs, down your way on Monterey Hwy? He's mostly a late model Ford guy, and might not have any FE experience though.

Have you done a dry & wet compression check?

This will help determine if the problem is in your bottom (rings) or top end (valve seals), etc...

What color is the smoke?

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well hey Mark, how's it going?
I'm going to try Ralph's in SJ since they do early model engines too. I need to wait a while due to finances.
Its a blue smoke. I knew I was burning some due to consumption but now its really bad and the engine doesn't sound or feel right either. lots of fun/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

·
Registered
807 Posts
A little too hard on our cars the other day were we? /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

It was sorta bad...but I guess it got worse. Get that fixed toot sweet.

Try Mustang Fever, talk to Mitch. They've been very good to me...and they work on Kent's car.

Or Elliot as Mustang Corral...although I haven't been there.
He had the sweet green fastback like mine.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
A compression check shall give you some good data.....

However, also have the valve seals checked.....

If it is a blue smoke.....you're definitely burning some oil.....if there's ALOT of it.......I would check to see if one or some of your pistons rings are broken......

A leaky valve seal will drip oil and not drench the combustion chambers like a worn or broken ring will.....

call Chris Slay over at Santa Cruz Auto Parts (Ask for Chris in the Machine shop) he is pretty experienced....

good luck
Roberto

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
It also runs rough? Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Use a squirt bottle and water. With engine running, squirt water around all vacuum connections, carb base, throttle shaft, intake manifold, intake bolts, etc.

You may have an internal vacuum leak at the intake manifold. Your intake gasket may have broken on the inside of your engine. Being an FE, this might be enough for engine vacuum to suck in oil pooling in the valley.

Or not...

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I wonder if Charlie's is still in business. Charlie passed away a few months ago and they sold off all of his goodies.

Call before you visit... the site may just be up as the result of a paid-in-advance hosting deal.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts