Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Looking to replace inner and outer rockers both sides on my 66 Fastback project.
After advice, tips but most of all pictures!
There's a few old rocker threads on here but seems the pics got deleted by the host so I can't see em.

Also which rockers are people recommending these days? I read the Dynacorns are a half inch too wide....?
Many thanks

Ryan - UK

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,613 Posts
Ryan, I replaced the entire bottom of my 66 hardtop with a floor from a company called Thoroughbred GT but they are no longer in business. Point I'm making is they built this piece with the same parts that the other Mustang suppliers are selling. My floor came with the inner rockers already welded on. I left the outer rockers attached as they were perfect. The new inner rockers mated up perfectly. For the best fitting sheet metal check out National Parts Depot. They do their homework to source the best fitting sheet metal on the market. The owner is also a forum member. Btw, are you also planning on installing front torque boxes? If I were to do it again I would also go with inner rockers for a convertible for a even stronger unibody.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I would take a serious look at the floors and then make a decision on what your replacing. I also did a complete floor that had the inner rocker attached to the floor already..inner and outer rocker replacement is going to be a real PIA IMO..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here you go chaps - Floor already gone plus rear torque boxes. Was no saving them. Car was from Minnesota - many of the little pockets where salt goes were eaten away.

I have what turns out to be one Dynacorn rocker - but the lip is 9mm out. Anyone have an NPD one they can measure? I may call them

No compromises on the car - will be my project to keep so I want it done right. I saw that someone on Stangnet had made front torque boxes that ran the whole length of the rocker and met up with rear torque boxes. Pic below

I think I will do the same. I really want to chuck the car around - I like to take my cars around the coast roads in Europe...Lots of tight corners!!

Fact is the car is old, metal is thin and it's been shotblasted. I wan the right bits to be as firm as possible.

It will have new floors, rear frame rails, rear torque boxes, rear quarters, firewall and rockers I hope!

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why not do a complete floor pan for a convertible? You get all you are looking for..

Floor is already on the way from Cali. I like the idea of 'vert rockers on a fastback but they don't tie in the same with the front frame rails - see below

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
So you made your own torque box there. So what are you going to do with the fIrewall piece that’s missing To connect to the floor? Patch it?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would patch those, keep all of the good oem metal, cut out the rust and replace.
After grinding off the torque box flanges, the inner rocker there is way thin. I just can't bring myself to well good solid new torque boxes to pitted old thin metal. Even after patching.
I get it's the original rockers but I can't base what is going to be a no expense spared car-for-life rebuild on patched thin rockers.
They have to go!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So you made your own torque box there. So what are you going to do with the fIrewall piece that’s missing To connect to the floor? Patch it?
No sir not yet - this is just an idea from a car on Stangnet. I like it though and I will probably do it.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I installed the 2 piece one from NPD. They fit fairly nice and the left one has the hole in it for a later model fuel line to go threw..

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I installed the 2 piece one from NPD. They fit fairly nice and the left one has the hole in it for a later model fuel line to go threw.. View attachment 755263
Looks good! Nice rotisserie. When you say 2 piece you mean outer and inner or the outer made of the 2 sections.

Any issues with the lip not fitting the bottom of the A and B pillar right?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
There 2 pieces inner and outer piece, I know some put them in as a one piece but I cant see how you can weld them properly..Yes there is a small amount of fitting issues but its no real big deal at all...Heres the fuel line going threw the left torque box..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts