Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come across a 1973 Mustang for sale in Northern California. I am planning on going for a test drive this weekend and am seeking any advice/tips that are offered. I was given the following information about the car.
-351 Cleveland engine
-Automatic
-New wide radial tires
-Dual chrome tip exhaust
-Mag wheels
-Metal flake brown paint
Since this would be my first Mustang I want to make sure I know what to look/listen for this weekend. Can anyone assist me, please? The asking price is around $6,500. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Need more info,
Is it a convertible, Mach 1, Coupe, fastback.
That is a factor. How much rust. interior condition.
351 4 barrel or 2 barrel carb.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. The man that I spoke to (the owners son) told me he thought it was a coupe (wasn't certain). No visible rust. Stored under a heavy car cover in California (never exposed to East Coast snow, salt, etc.). Running on it's second engine (they weren't sure but said they thought it had less than 100,000 miles on it). 351 2 barrell carb. Interior has been taken care of over the year's and at somepoint replaced (says it looks very good). Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
As TFOB says we need a lot more info, original, restored...6,500 if not restored is high end price if just off the street with a set of nice wheels

look for...
rust under where the passenger feets rests in both the front and back floor inspect the car from underneath and ask the owner if he has a problem with you poking in there with a screwdriver.

open the hood and look at the radiator support another first in rust problem for 73's.

Lift the carpet in the trunk and poke around... from underneat also.

These spots will give you an idea of the general status of the body.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
If it is a coupe, a 73 coupe is not a High end Mustang By any strech. It would have to be Really Really nice for $6500. Check the Vin code to see if it came with a 351 2V since this is the second engine. the Code will be H the 5th character in the Vin.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again for all of the very helpful tips on what to look for this weekend. Would it be safe to assume that if the main points you highlighted were in good condition (i.e. minimal rust damage, engine runs well, interior and exterior condition in decent condition, etc.) that it would be a good buy for $6,500? I know it's difficult to be able to make that call without having seen the car yourself, but basically what I'm asking is what kind of car should I expect to be getting for $6,500? It sounds like for that price this car should be in pretty good condition and well taken care of. What would you say is the average price for a '73 in fairly good condition, but not excellent? Please keep in mind that this will be my first Mustang and I'm just looking for a car that runs well, is in fairly good physical condition and I can have fun with (as much as I would love to have a '73 that looks and I'm sure drives like TFOB's, I just don't have the time/money to devote to fully restoring the car). Any info. you can provide me with on the range of prices and condition of cars so that I have a better idea of what to expect would be great. Thanks again in advance.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just as a comparison, I bought my '72 coupe, 302/FMX with 67,000 original miles for $2000.00. Originally a California car until first ower passed away (1987), then given to his son who lived in Idaho. The car sat outside until Nov 2001 when I bought. The only rust I've have found is around the tail lights, both sides C-pilars (6" X 12" in size) and the battery tray and under it. The car was all original when I bought it.

Jason

1 - 7 of 7 Posts