Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently been talking to a guy in Northern California about a 1970 Mustang. I was planning on going this weekend for a test drive but not being a Mustang expert or ever having owned one, I wasn't sure what to look/listen for. Here are the specs on the car that were given to me.
-302 v8 w/a stick shift
-mostly new interior
-process of fitting power steering unit
-new valves and engine tune-up
-reconditioned carbs
-new clutch
-new shocks, tires, brakes
The asking price is around $3,000. Apparently, the reason for selling is the current owner is moving to Europe and the cost of shipping is too much. Any advice on what to look/listen for this weekend would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your assistance.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ask for receipts for all work claimed to have been done. Listen carefully to engine, transmission, and rear end. Have owner start it up cold and look at exhaust. Try out every option to be sure it works. Take a long test drive. Take a jack and jackstands and get under the car and look every inch over for rust. Look in trunk for rust. Use a magnet to check body panels for body filler. Three thousand is not too much to pay for a rust free car that is good working order. You could easily double that if you buy a lemon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hi,
I am currently restoring essentially a basket case mach 1.
rear quarters, trunk floors, wheelhouses, tail panel and floors are significant rust areas, check very closely. mine also has had toe board and torque box repairs, front frame rail and frame rail extension rust, shock towers and fender aprons. the only thing still good on my car is the center unibody section. In california you should not have this to worry about, the jury is still out on whether my car was a new jersey or a boston car. lots of rust either way.
at this point I feel compelled to bring it back to life.

regards and good luck

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Look for rust in the torque boxes( the area where the frames connect to the floor), rear frame rails with a carefull eye by the shakle,lower quarters and wheel houses. You might pour a gallon of water through the cowl screen and look for leaks inside the car, expensive. Look for good chrome. Make sure that all the gages, lights work and accessories work. Check for accident damage ( bent improperly fixed frame rails, panel alignment).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of the replies and advice which will come in very handy this weekend. I do have a general question that will show my ignorance when it comes to Mustangs, but where are the cowel screens and where inside the car would the leakage come from? Thanks again, you have all been very helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts