Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installing the C4 on the back of the 302, I ran into a problem trying to get the torque converter and input shaft seated together. I can get the trans to about in inch from the back of the block, then it stops.

I recall reading about this issue a year ago or so, but using "search" here, I could not find the post. I recognize that the torque converter has two flat spots on the shaft and that the seat in the front of the trans has two flat spots. I assume these go together almost like a spline. I rotated the engine so that these two flat spots should be lining up, but still cannot get things to mesh.

I am using studs in the top two bolt locations at the bellhousing, so presently, the trans is hanging off those two studs and supported by a floor jack.

Any suggestions? I don't want to force it together in fear of damaging the front pump. I think the trans was removed from the car with the trans in park. Should I try shifting it into neutral by messing with the shifting rod?

thanks for your advice.

p.s., the engine is out of the car and on an engine hoist/stack of spare tires.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Ken, pull it back away from the engine and get that converter completely seated. It makes no difference if the tranny is in park, nuetral, or any gear. The pump has to rotate in all of them.

Are you 100% sure this converter was in this transmission before? You CANNOT install a '70/later converter in a '69/prior transmission and vice-versa. A quick check to see if the converter is correct is to pull the input shaft out and stick it into the converter. If it won't go in easily and mesh with the splines of the converter, it's the wrong converter.

Do NOT try to draw them together with bolts. The only things that can happen are all bad.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John, This is the same converter/transmission combination. The only change is to bolt it to the 72 engine/flywheel.

Should I unbolt the converter from the flywheel, seat the converter in the trans, then rotate the engine to line the 4 holes in the flywheel to the converter studs, bolt on the bellhousing, then bolt the converter to the flywheel last?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For those who might find this post in a future search, the correct installation is to install the torque coverter into the trans/bellhousing first. Get is seated corrected - two clunks down. Then, line up the converter drain plug with the access hole in the flex plate, wiggle the torque converter to line up the 4 mounting studs with their corresponding holes inthe flex plate.

For east of installation, temporarily install two studs in the top two bellhousing mounting holes in the block. slide the transmission forward and up, so that the 4 mounting studs of the torque converter go through the flex plate and the two holes in the bellhousing slide over the previously installed studs.

Now you can bolt the bellhousing into place, back out the studs and substitute the corect mounting bolts. When that is done install the nuts on the torque converter studs and toruqe to 25 ftlbs. rotate the engine by the balancer or crank pulley to line up each stud, in turn, in the opening created by removing the inspection plate at the base of the bellhousing.

Following this procedure recommended by JohnPro it took about 20 minutes to install the trans to the back of the block.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Wow. Over 22,000 posts on here. They should pay you John or give you a medal at the least or award or something. Hey I'm just joking around. How's everything going these days?

I'm doing great with a lot of help from the Lord. I just got a new place to live next to my shop and I've freed up a fairly good 15 x 40 slab of concrete. Guess what that is going to be? Shop # 2? LOL.

I did some horse trading and now have a runnable D0VE 429 with C6, a street/dune buggy with 2 motors(needs fixin), a nice canoe, not sure what all. Hey I got some good STUFF! I still have not figured out what I'm gonna do with my Cleveland. It needs a home in between some motor mounts. I would like to put it in ugly truck but my 302 runs great and gets 17 to 20 on gas. Hard to argue with that these days.

Some things are just so simple after you learn how to do them. The torque converter/bell housing/block thing is one of those. Not doing it right can be a major catastrokey(hey its a word, found it in my personal dictionary, LOL). I use 2 jacks on the tranny because you need the angle under there and my arms get tired holding the thing up and trying to bolt it on at the same time. Use jacks with wheels and you can just roll the whole thing up to the block once you get it lined up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts