Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I’ve removed a total of 3 axles in my life. 2 from an 83 Toyota pickup and now 1 from my mustangs 8” rear end. So clearly I don’t have much experience however out of the three all came out super easy. for some reason the passenger side axle on the mustangs diff doesn’t want to come out like the driver side did. Some of my friends said it might be a clip? Sounds unlikely but I don’t know. I googled it and it seems it could be rusted but the driver side was completely clean and no rust.

What would you guys do?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Take the brake drum off, remount it backwards, put a couple of wheel nuts on just a few turns, use the brake drum as a slide hammer. Always worked for me. Good luck.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Take the brake drum off, remount it backwards, put a couple of wheel nuts on just a few turns, use the brake drum as a slide hammer. Always worked for me. Good luck.
So then I’m ok to use force? I just wanted to make sure I hadn’t forgotten something. I’ve hammered on it alittle but I’ll try that for sure

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
So then I’m ok to use force? I just wanted to make sure I hadn’t forgotten something. I’ve hammered on it alittle but I’ll try that for sure
"Force" can be a relative word! That's why I suggest the reversed brake drum method as you can only build up so much force in the couple of inches of movement. And yes, I've needed to do this even when the bearings were only a couple of hundred miles old. Sometimes things just stick in our classics!

Reactions: Jr_Palm

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,299 Posts
Air hammer or they rent an axle slide hammer at most big box parts stores.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,659 Posts
If you've done the same things you did to get the other side out, you haven't missed anything. If the drum trick isn't enough you probable need one of these:

Designed for the purpose, it goes on the wheel studs and is secured by three lugnuts. Then you beat it out. I don't recommend buying such a tool though, you may never need it again. You might score one for free from your local parts store's "loan a tool" program though. A slide hammer will generally get most such axles right on out.

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
Here's another FREE one...
After the drum is off, put a chain on two of the wheel studs with about 2 feet or so of slack between, and thread the lug nuts over it. Give the chain a good yank. The axle will usually pop right loose.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
"Force" can be a relative word! That's why I suggest the reversed brake drum method as you can only build up so much force in the couple of inches of movement. And yes, I've needed to do this even when the bearings were only a couple of hundred miles old. Sometimes things just stick in our classics!
I think one of the problems is the rear end is out of the car. It’s just free sitting on the ground. So it’s really hard to hold it #1 up in the air and #2 in place from moving forward. Is it bad if it string it up in a tree with the stuck axle down (just a few inches from the ground) and then use that reverse drum technique?

EDIT: for some reason just now the other answers popped up and I read them. Thanks guys. I’m going to try and get the axle strapped down and try out the chain trick. If that doesn’t work I have a few buddies that will come help me get it out or die trying XD

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
So I’ve tried the reverse drum thingy and it didn’t work. So I decided to do my original plan and string the rear end up in a tree. Then hit the drum with a large hammer. Well I did that and guess what? No movement whatsoever. I’m starting to think i should tie one end to my truck and the other to a tree??

Or I have to rent one of those axle slide hammers.

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,299 Posts
Lol **** gets real when you start tying stuff between trucks and trees.....

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Lol **** gets real when you start tying stuff between trucks and trees.....
I take it you vote for the axle puller? I think I do too. Going ask a friend (who will probably tell me to tie it between a truck and a tree) but I’ll probably just rent a puller and save myself the headache of breaking something and just having to pay more money.

·
Registered
570 Posts
If you have an O'Relly's Auto Parts close, they have the slide hammer and attachment like GypsyR Posted to loan for free (as long as you bring it back within 48 hours..
Mine has always done the job. If your axle bearing is really stuck hard inn the housing, you may need to tap- around it with a hammer or use some propane heat. If you use heat, you may end up having to replace the bearing (which you should probably do anyway since you'll have it out), as you will probably boil the grease out of the bearing.

Bob

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
If you have an O'Relly's Auto Parts close, they have the slide hammer and attachment like GypsyR Posted to loan for free (as long as you bring it back within 48 hours..
Mine has always done the job. If your axle bearing is really stuck hard inn the housing, you may need to tap- around it with a hammer or use some propane heat. If you use heat, you may end up having to replace the bearing (which you should probably do anyway since you'll have it out), as you will probably boil the grease out of the bearing.

Bob
Ok thanks for that tip Bob. Yes I believe the wisest option here is to get an axle puller. If I can loan one for free that would be great. I’ll look for an O Reilly’s.

I’ll let you guys know when I get it out :p

·
Premium Member
68 Mustang Coupe
3,299 Posts
That sounds like an experienced response... :p :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Allen
Lol I rarely had a truck to use as I was usually repairing it under the tree. :ROFLMAO::LOL:

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
978 Posts
The 4 retainer bolts are out right? Just wanted to make sure even though I am pretty sure since you took the other axle out but have to ask.

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
I had a similar issue...reversed the drum, soaked in liquid wrench, pulled and pulled and pulled...to no avail. Borrowed the slide hammer from my dad...2 slaps and It broke free.

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Whew! If one came out, the other should too. Must be a little more "gum" pn this one LOl!

·
Registered
35,931 Posts
Get a couple bolts and a couple rod joiners. Use spacers, etc., to get the bolts with the rod joiners screwed way down on them and place them opposite each other between the back of the axle flange and the backing plate by the mounting bolts. Unscrew the rod joiners a turn at a time, alternating. Sooner or later it should go "pop".

·
Registered
6,143 Posts
I had a ‘68 coupe kick my a$$ like that once. I did a similar chain trick- one end link on the studs and nutted, but rather than nothing on the other end, I made a small loop with a bolt, dropped it over a sledgehammer handle, then swung it like a pendulum. It took a few swings, but she finally popped. I will admit- I really like Woodchuck’s idea too!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts