Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the front sway bar I’ve had installed in my 67 Mustang for the past 20 years might not be correct. I bought a used Mustang OEM sway bar from a college classmate that said it was from a GT Mustang... unfortunately I don’t know what year. I have recently been dealing with a major end link misalignment issue and the thought is my sway bar is not correct for my 67.

So if anyone can help me out with sway bar dimensions it would be greatly appreciated! My current bar’s rough measurements are as follows:
A = 8”
B = 29”
C = 10”
D = 0.850“ (somewhere between 13/16” and 7/8”)

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Between model years 64 - 66, 67-70 and 71-73 instead of trying to figure out what year you have they actually look different. Based on your dimensions it seems like you have a factory equipped sway bar. Now how used is it. Most opt for a 1" sway bar when upgrading their sway bar. Look at the pictures I posted, The first being a 64-66, second 67-70 and third 71-73. If the one in your car doesn't look like the 67-70 variety you have the wrong one installed. Compare the one your friend sold to you with the pictures. Perhaps you can figure out what year it is.

Has your car had any front end damage That would cause end link misalignment?

Attachments

·
Registered
9,218 Posts
Very popular "cheap" upgrade 20-25 years ago.....
It's possible to install a Granada bar on a 67/68. I have one on my '68. They are very close to an inch diameter
but spec'd as metric. They require the movement of the swaybar to frame brackets VERY slightly...... if not moved,
my recollection is that you have some pretty funky end-link angles. Yet another possibility for the OP to explore.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tom991, thanks for that idea of comparing pics. Without taking mine out it would be hard to say what bends it best matches. I was hoping somebody had one laying on their garage floor that they could just run a tape measure on to get some dimensions.

I went ahead and ordered a new sway bar because at this point, regardless of what my current one came out of, it isn't correct. Maybe at some point I can get dimensions to figure out what it came from and then pass it along to somebody else, but I need to figure out what it came from first.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts