Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone with a 67 mustang that hasn't been wrecked or had front end damage could make 3 measurements for me. I've attached a photo red lines showing the measurements I need. I'll try to clarify to make it easier to understand. On the underside of the strut rod brackets there's a front & back flange where the rubber bushings seat. The first measurement is from the center of the "rear" flange (where the red arrows meet) on the driver side to the same location on the pass side. The 2nd measurement is from the same starting location of the first measurement to the inside of the driver side frame rail (black line represents the bottom corner of the frame rails). The 3rd measurement is exactly the same as the second except it's on the passenger side. If you any questions please let me know. Any assistance with this is very much appreciated.

regards

mross52

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi Mike- I have an original 67 (I was 12 when my cousin took delivery of it) and I know it was never hit. I just checked, the two side measurements to the center of the rear flange is right around 4" (+/- 1/8) and the distance inside rail-rail is just about 27". Hope that helps-

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Mike- I have an original 67 (I was 12 when my cousin took delivery of it) and I know it was never hit. I just checked, the two side measurements to the center of the rear flange is right around 4" (+/- 1/8) and the distance inside rail-rail is just about 27". Hope that helps-
Hi Gar Guy,

Thank you for taking the measurements. I don't think your second measurement is correct, though. If you look at the picture I sent, the measurement is from the center of rear flange on driver side to the center of rear flange on pass side or looking at the picture, it's represented by the long red line with arrows on each end. Could you try measuring it again?

thanks much

Mike

·
Premium Member
617 Posts
Total dimension of 27-2x4=19”, which is what mine measures (at least very close)

·
Registered
284 Posts
I don't know how close this is, but the measurement on the 66 (per factory manual, the measure from sway bar holes to sway bar holes is 24.92") from inside frame rail to inside frame rail should be about 27". I'll measure my 66 today and let you know what I have. My measurement from frame rail inside to inside is 27 3/4" and frame rail inside to centerline of bars is 3" +/- 1/4". This should give you a fairly close estimate.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Sorry, I checked flange center to flange center and it is indeed 19”.
Hey Car Guy,

Thanks so much for your help with the measurements. I really appreciated it.

I hope I'm not pressing my luck, but if you could there one other measurement that would also be helpful. This measurement is from the center of the rear flange to the lower control arm bracket on both sides, driver and pass. I've attached a photo showing the measurement. (See below this post)

I have a question, too. When you made the side measurements from the center of the rear flange to inside frame rail, how did you manage it. The reason I'm asking is, those two points are on completely different planes. If you put the tape measure on the rear flange and extended it in a straight line toward the inside frame rail, you end up with a few inches of space between the tape measure and the inner frame rail. I'm just curious, because that's what I ended up with, when I tried to do it.

Thanks again for your help.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
For the first measurements I used a short square as a straight edge up against the side rail so that i could get a decent reference point to the flange center. I just tried to make the second measurement you requested. I put the end of the tape measure up against the flat part of the lower control arm bracket. I tried to locate it so that the tape was parallel to the frame rails. I went to the center of the crack between the front and rear strut support bracket (at the center of the rod) rather than the rear bracket itself because it was easier to define it. That number is an even 15" on the passenger side and more like 15 1/8 on the driver side. Those numbers are roughly correct but I can't be sure because the tape may not have been completely straight. My car is parked in my garage, tires on the ground. It's not on a lift. I'm curious: what do you need the measurements for? From the photo, your car looks like it's in pretty good shape. Do you suspect you have a twisted frame?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
For the first measurements I used a short square as a straight edge up against the side rail so that i could get a decent reference point to the flange center. I just tried to make the second measurement you requested. I put the end of the tape measure up against the flat part of the lower control arm bracket. I tried to locate it so that the tape was parallel to the frame rails. I went to the center of the crack between the front and rear strut support bracket (at the center of the rod) rather than the rear bracket itself because it was easier to define it. That number is an even 15" on the passenger side and more like 15 1/8 on the driver side. Those numbers are roughly correct but I can't be sure because the tape may not have been completely straight. My car is parked in my garage, tires on the ground. It's not on a lift. I'm curious: what do you need the measurements for? From the photo, your car looks like it's in pretty good shape. Do you suspect you have a twisted frame?
Car Guy,

Thanks for the explanation on making the side measurements and all the other measurements as well. It had to be tough to make them with the car sitting on it's tires. I know there is not much room, that way. Regarding your question, why I needed the measurements. First, the picture I used is not of my car. Just a picture I got off the net, that was ideal for showing the measurements that I needed. I needed the measurement because I'm installing new strut rod brackets and I wanted the measurements to determine placement of the brackets and to compare them to mine. The good news is the measurements were that same.

Many thanks to you and the others who helped with this.

Best of wishes

Mike

Mike

1 - 12 of 12 Posts