Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

been a while since I posted, real life is annoying sometimes.

The good: new leaf springs, 3.55 gears, auburn diff, fresh paint, new hard lines

the bad: when the engine is slowing down the car, it sounds like an airplane landing (wheeeeerrrrrrrrrrrr.....) is this bad, normal, goes away? I'm sort of nervous about it. It gets REALLY loud at 60mph equivalent (I haven't changed the speedo gear from when i had 2.8ish gears)

I filled with gear oil 4.5 pints as I interpreted the shop manual and added the additive from Ford.

thanks in advance!
Chris

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
sounds to me like the rear end gears,,Ring and pinion are not set up properly..no the noise will not go away..it will only get louder..thats been my experience

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
will it be ok for a couple of weeks? i need to let my friend use it while he's in town. That is, is it only annoying versus my gears are grinding away? There is about 0 noise pulling btw.

Chris

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I don't think it will fail..but if you run the ring and pinion in wrong..a pattern will develop on the teeth and even after they are set up correctly..the noise will remain

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
From what Ive read, if you use it, it'll whine forever. The gears aren't quite set up right (or cheap...you get what you pay for BIGTIME on gears!!)

You paid for their setup (I hope) get your money's worth!!!!

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The coast pattern on the gears isn't right... If you don't get this fixed soon, your R&P will have a short lifespan.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I did one and got the spacers backwards. I pulled it back apart and the tops of the ring gear teeth were hitting the bottom of the pinion valleys. Potential for broken teeth if its hitting hard enough. I won't go far at all if you don't want to buy new pinion and ring.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, thanks guys, I guess it won't be so bad to take in and out the second time, arg, this guy took over a month turnaround, you would think it would be perfect.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Once all the parts are gathered, it takes about 2 hours to properly set up a gear set, as long as nothing goes wrong....in reality it's really easy if you have a little skill and a few precision tools.

You can use blueing to check the tooth pattern and compare it to a gear or service manual.

Any other funny noises, like at the rollover from acceleration to cruise?

What brand gear set did you use? How many miles are on the new unit?

Get back to us...

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey camachinist, I'm going to start a new thread (title: help, new rear end diff, bad noise part II), have more info now after playing with it this morning.

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts