Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody please help me save some time!My rear brake light
on the driverside does not work.Ive replaced the bulb,cleaned the housing,checked ground by running a jumper,but that didnt help.All my turn signals work just fine as does running lights,but no brake light?I'm overlooking something!

·
Registered
890 Posts
I know you said you cleaned the housing, but it sounds like the bulb isn't making good contact, or the positive wire is broken somewhere. See if you can get a reading on the positive pole with a VM. If not, then try pigtailing from a known 12 source that is present in the trunk. If successful, then the positive wire for that short distance is the culprit.

·
Registered
36,314 Posts
IMHO, turn signal switch. Sometimes the small wire "contacts" get bent and will not return to the neutral position to complete the circuit. The T/S and brake lamp use the same filament, so if it lights with the T/S it is not in the lamp, socket or wiring to it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just happen to have a used T/S switch in the garage,and I wired it up just to see, and that what it was!!Thanks so much,for the speedy reply.This is the second repo T/S switch and my last. Going to try to find fomoco!!!

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
one other thing to be aware of is that if you have right or left TS on that side brake light is switched off by TS switch so that car behind you sees TS light (samae bulb is used for both lights - the other side is enough to see brake light. PM me if questions.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts