Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After rebuilding the engine, I go to install the engine back into the car. I lower it in and connect the automatic transmission with no problem (plugs in and bolts up perfect). Now I try lowering it down to engage the engine insulators with the motor mount frame brackets BUT they will not match up (the engine insulators are about an inch forward of the frame brackets)! What's wrong? Why will it not drop in and bolt up?This is the same engine that came out of this car! Here is what I know:
1. transmission was not removed from car.
2. new insulators were installed but were identical to the old ones. There is not a left and right hand side, both insulators are the same.
Thanks.

G

·
0 Posts
I've seen slotted tranny crossmembers. Maybe the trans slipped forward an inch or so. That's all I got.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
The only book I have at work shows LH and RH for 351's. Are you sure they aren't different? Does the engine butt up against the bell housing? If not, make sure you have the torque converter set in correctly. Turn it until it is set properly....

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I also thought the transmission may have slid forward. The transmission crossmember does have slots so I loosened the two transmission mounting nuts and slid everything back and it still will not work.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, the engine does butt up against the transmission bell housing. I purchased two sets of insulators from two different companies and they are all the same. If it matters, the car is a 71 Mach 1.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Double check your mounts, I also have been told the motor mounts are left and right, especially for convertible. It might not hurt to swap the mounts and try again...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts