Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I decided that cleaning up the mess under the car was something that I could do on weekends, keep the car on the road and wait for winter for more extensive projects.

Undercoating and 38 years of driving have made an ugly mess. I got a heat gun and started scraping off the undercoating. Finding various layers of paint, dents and dings but no additional rust so far. Not finding a nice clean red primer like Midlife did on his.

I am going to have to take this all the way down to bare metal. I plan to do a few sections at a time as I get the time on weekends. My question is once I grind all this crap off, what next? Do I need to put something on prior to the primer? What color should a San Jose car be? What products do you recommend for this? Hoping I can do this with spray cans since it will be a little at a time. Your suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Drew

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
This is the best way , but really hard to drive though . :: The color is DP 74 , correct for San Jose cars .

http://home.comcast.net/~whitetopcv/wsb/media/190864/site1069.jpg

·
Registered
440 Posts
When I was in the early stages of my resto, I used spray can primer in between the weekends that I could commit to the project, versus leaving bare metal or fresh welds exposed. What I found was that spray can primer is NOT a good barier to oxidation, it is only a good pre-coat for paint. If left for too long, you will get rust under the primer. The suggestion from the local paint shop was to use epoxy primer (I also went with PPG, but used the black DP 90 color. If you have bare steel that is freshly sanded, blasted, or welded consider some metal prep which etches the paint with acid, use some wax/grease remover, the spray with epoxy paint. If you like the color (red oxide or black.....) you can coat 2-3 times and your done. I did 1 coat, then seam sealed everything and put on another 1-2 coats. Since epoxy is so durable, no top coat is needed(as stated by the paint guy ho could have easily sold me 100.00 worth of chassis paint. You may not be happy with the long term results of spray cans.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts