Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My '66 289 was running 2 weeks ago. I went to drive it yesterday and again tried today and it wouldn't start. In the last 3 months I have put on new distributor cap, plugs, plug wires, coil and timed it up. It is or was running great. It will turn over but she just won't start. I'm at a loss for why. It has fire and plenty of battery, etc. just won't start up.

I forgot, I had also put in new points and condenser. Those seem to be good as well. I was just rechecking the gap and I got bit.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Need fuel and spark to run. Are you seeing fuel squirting into the carb when you pull the throttle linkage? Have you tried pulling a plug and seeing if you are getting spark? I'd start with the basics and go from there.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Clogged fuel filter? Loose NSS connection? Alternator belt tight?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'll start with checking these items and see what I find.

·
Registered
5,121 Posts
If the engine has never had a new timing set installed then it's very likely it jumped time. If you have spark and fuel I would check TDC to see if it jumped time.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I apologize for not getting back to you guys but I haven't had the time to look in to things until today. I took off the fuel filter at the carb and it seems to be good. I looked down into the carb and don't see any fuel squirting into it. I'm thinking may fuel pump?

·
Registered
506 Posts
It may sound obvious but, is there gas in the tank? My Mustang is EMPTY when the needle is just above the "E".

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
The video was great , but won't tell you anything about the fuel pump unless you are cranking the engine over.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,106 Posts
Disconnect the fuel line right at the carb and put the line into a container and have someone crank the car while you watch. If fuel comes out, pump is good, if not, need a new pump.

Reactions: rpm

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
Grab a teeny funnel and fill the carburetor float bowls through the vents. Attempt to start. If it starts and stays running, fuel may have just evaporated from the bowls, percolated out or you may have an internal leak or crack. If it runs for a bit then quits and no accelerator pump squirt seen, disconnect the fuel line at the carburetor, attach a length of hose into a container, pre-fill the float bowls, again, and start the engine. You should be able to fill a quart container before the carburetor runs dry again.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Kclark, you won't normally see any gas squirting or otherwise in your carb, unless you move the throttle - at which point it should spray like a squirt gun down the bores.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It may sound obvious but, is there gas in the tank? My Mustang is EMPTY when the needle is just above the "E".
Tank is almost full. I filled it up a few days before I went to drive it again.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kclark, you won't normally see any gas squirting or otherwise in your carb, unless you move the throttle - at which point it should spray like a squirt gun down the bores.
I was moving the throttle linkage.

I'll try to do things again tomorrow but dumb me left the key on so my battery is drained. I got to get it charged back up. That battery is 3 months old. I created another issue while trying to fix one.

·
Registered
5,627 Posts
since you repl the points and cond make me suspect that.

theyre are a lot of bad Chinese cond out there in the market

disconnect the cond and try to start it. if it runs thats the issue

buy Ford/motocraft, Napa Premium or Blue streak brand only.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
since you repl the points and cond make me suspect that.

theyre are a lot of bad Chinese cond out there in the market

disconnect the cond and try to start it. if it runs thats the issue

buy Ford/motocraft, Napa Premium or Blue streak brand only.
The points and condenser came from NAPA.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Pour a bit of gas or spray some starting fluid into carb, then crank.
You'll have your answer pretty quick...
This will tell you right a way if it's a lack of fuel, which it appears to be from your video.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If your fuel pump diaphragm is ruptured, they frequently put a bunch of gasoline into your oil pan. Modern fuel formulations really do a number on the old rubber materials, and tend to make them brittle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts