Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have asked this question about a year ago on the other forum but now that I am into the project I want to get another round of opinions. I have a 67 GT350 that I purchased from the original owner. The car is currently painted red but the original color is Dark Moss Green. The paint is nice enough not to strip and re-paint. The interior is all original with no rips or tears (but the chrome dash could use freshening up). I have pulled the original engine and trans and am about half way through stripping the engine compartment paint to bare metal (messy job, BTW). I plan to regasket the engine and paint everything the correct color. I am trying to keep it as original as possible with respect to appearance. I am not doing a concours restoration. Now my question, should I put the paxton supercharger on the car? It is from Paradise Wheels (SN60). I think that's what it's called. First how close is his supercharger kit from the original? I have never seen an original in person. I am more interested in perserving the value of the car and also having the wow factor when you open the hood. Will installing it hurt the value? Thanks for the input.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
I bought a Paxton from Paradise Wheels a few years back for my GT-350. He has several kits to choose from, depending how original you want the look to be.

The kits are very well finished, and they have good phone support should you have installation or performance issues. If you want to keep the car as it left the Shelby factory, don't buy the Paxton. If you want more "wow", buy it. You can always remove it later (the air filter can for Paxton will require the drilling of two holes for mounting)

Z. Ray
6s1117

·
Registered
169 Posts
The Kits that Craig Conley sells are very close to original with the exception of the gauges, and the bonnet that encloses the carb.

As stated before, you will have to drill holes in the left apron, but they are small.

As for your engine, if it has miles on it, and is not fresh, then you will be running a risk installing it on an already running engine. I have installed about 4 of these kits, and 3 out of 4 went great. The 4th engines started puking oil out of the valve cover breather from too much blow-by......needed to be rebuilt.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The engine has about 8000 miles on the rebuild. I did a compression check and all cylinders read 170+. I am regasketing it because the timing cover gasket leaks and the oil pan has a "stress crack" (alum type). The engine has low miles but it didn't get much use over the last 8 years. I put one on my 68 shelby. It turned out nice. I sold the car to buy a 67. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Considering the description of the car you have provided I would not add the Paxton...

·
Registered
10,030 Posts
Here is why you should install the Paxton: Ok, rule out concours at any SAAC event. They know which cars by Vin number got them, and especially the 67 SAAC judges are tough.
BUT: SAAC just announced a new car show catagory where the cars can be painted a different color (like yours) and, the dealer add on stuff (ah, Cobra kits IE. Paxton)is all OK. They call it the Hi-Performance Motors class. And will appear at the next comvention.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the heads up....I am leaning towards the paxton especially since it's in a box at my house!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts