Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I can't believe I'm having to post this, but I need some info about under dash air conditioners. Seems that when my husband re-did the engine and transmission a few years ago, he took out the under dash A/C, the condensor, brackets, hoses, etc. out so he could get to everything else easier.
When I started working on the interior a few weeks ago, I asked him where the A/C stuff was stored, and he said it was all up in the attic with the rest of the mustang stuff.
Long story short: the underdash unit is nowhere to be found. The condensor, brackets, hoses, etc. are all there. He has absolutely no idea where the underdash unit is.
So, I'm waffling between being weepy (I really love my car..you guys know how it is)and being po'd. I'm really trying to be grown up about this, and I'm trying to give him a break, but I'm not doing a very good job of it.
My husband feels awful, and has offered to replace it, but I don't know where to start looking, or if anything like it is available. I don't even know if it was factory (would it be underdash if it were?), or aftermarket. I haven't seen it in a few years, but the best I can remember, it had this beautiful chrome face, was kind of clunky looking, and was about the size of a toaster oven. The two louvers were horizontally slatted, and the back of it was black metal. Does anyone have one like that? Or, can anyone give me any other info? My car is a '65 convertible if that helps anyone...
Jeez. Of all things.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, you would think it had to be somewhere, but our attic isn't that big!! Junky yes, spacious no. We even looked at his dad's house in case he took it there for some goofy reason. Oops, there I go again.
I really don't think he "lost it" on purpose or sold it (!!!)

·
Registered
Current cars include 1969 Mach 1 and 1970 Cougar XR7 convertible
8,496 Posts
The factory unit for 1965 was underdash and had 4 round registers, not 2 horizontally slatted ones so your old unit was either a dealer install or an aftermarket unit. I suggest you check with Classic Auto Air in Tampa. They advertise (in Hemmings Motor News as well as the usual Mustang magazines) daily driver units as well as fully refurbished factory original ones. IIRC the price range for complete underdash systems is between $900 and $1300...someone correct me if you know better.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
kill him, there are lots of single guys on this forum that know better than to do something liek that.

look up VMF'r "Midlife" he'll "console" you in your time of sorrow.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I say that you Bobbit the [email protected]&%*!!! Make him wish that he was dead! Ha! Ha! Better yet cut him off in other ways ie: no more until the air is working again. That ought to refresh his memmory.

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Have him replace it. But not just the missing part. A whole new a/c system You'll have less worries about old parts and what will and will not work. Then give him a break.

Or, he can clean and organize both the garage and attic, so there are no other missing mustang parts. Hopefully it will show up, if not then a new system. And then give him a break.

Either way torturing yourself or him, won't get the car fixed and on the road. And, you've only got so many days of summer to enjoy that vert.

(p.s. I would probably poke him in the side few times in his sleep, a little torture is not a bad thing)

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
As the old saying goes: "Don't get mad (or weepy), get even!"

Remove a key component to his daily driver's A/C, and tell him he can have it back just as soon as he produces your mustang's A/C pod. Sit back and wait for the quick results.... ::

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
The unit described sounds like a vintage air unit. (after market) Like stated before, you could look on the favorite banned site and probably find one.
The OEM unit was all chromed faced, but had 4 round louvers, also like stated in a prior post.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Okay.....let me get this straight this morning:
1.Cut it/him off.
2.Divorce him for having a girlfriend.
3.Shop [censored].
4.Shop the "banned site" (???-too banned to name???)
5.Tell lemondrop that gorgeous interior photo doesn't match my unit.
6.Inform my husband that I need him to replace the whole thing (maybe go for the correct round vent??)
7.Get a T-shirt with my bank's name on it.
8.Tear up my husband's beloved Tundra.
9.At all costs, stay away from Midlife.

Looks like a busy Saturday ahead of me.
Thanks for the laughs. You guys and a night of sleep helped me get things in perspective!!

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
OH NO!!!

you got the last one all wrong!

look, the power of Midlife is still absolute, how can you turn your nose up him when you don't know him? In real life, he's a great person, and from what the ladies say, [ewe] he's not baaaaa-ad [/ewe]

Oh c'mon, you'll be ok... and don't do number 1 on the list you have. That's just wrong. ok, ok... if you do #1, just don't leave the room with it. That's all we ask. ok, ok, ok so say you leave the room with it, well... just don't take it in a car with you, I mean... sheesh, why does it need to go in a car? ok ok ok I see, so let's just say you decide you have to take it for a ride in teh car. Whatever you do, just odn't throw it out the window, huh... I mean, who deserves that?

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
Amy: don't worry. John68 is probably whackier than I am...he's just pulling your chain.

I loved your response of this morning! Keep up that atitude, and you'll soon be part of the VMF gang! ::

1 - 20 of 22 Posts