Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 40's vintage analog guy. I'm desperate to see Ford vs Ferrari. Now that's it's available on DVD What is a good DVD player to watch it on my TV?

Excuse my ignorance. I've never owned DVD player or video game thingy.
Gimpy.
TY.

·
Administrator
19,836 Posts
You can pick up a DVD dirt cheap these days that will play the movie just fine. The sticky part is what sort of plug ins you have on the back of your TV. Once we know that then we know which way to go. There are adapters out there to make just about anything work but if you have any kind of newish flat screen TV it will have an "HDMI" port which makes things super easy.

An alternative is they sell standalone DVD players with small screens all in one. Not so popular anymore, used ones can be had very cheap. Along the same lines many laptop computers have DVD players built in so you could watch a movie that way.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You can pick up a DVD dirt cheap these days that will play the movie just fine. The sticky part is what sort of plug ins you have on the back of your TV. Once we know that then we know which way to go. There are adapters out there to make just about anything work but if you have any kind of newish flat screen TV it will have an "HDMI" port which makes things super easy.

An alternative is they sell standalone DVD players with small screens all in one. Not so popular anymore, used ones can be had very cheap. Along the same lines many laptop computers have DVD players built in so you could watch a movie that way.
WhenI watch my Grandsons (ages 8&6) they bring their X box &plug it into my TV. So I do have a port I guess.

TY,
Gimpy

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
There are basically 4 types of video inputs: composite (yellow phono plug), component (green, blue and red phono plugs), S-video and HDMI. I would first look at my TV to see what is available and then find a DVD player that will work. if your TV is older it may only have component and/or composite. Craig's list is a good place to find electronics that might otherwise be considered obsolete for cheap.

·
Administrator
19,836 Posts
Second best idea, volunteer grandkids to help you shop for a DVD player. That way they get to be smart and helpful. If they can hook up an Xbox no doubt they'll either know or be able to figure out what you need. You probably don't need your own Xbox but it would actually work and THIS grandpa plays on one.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Seems like a couple ways to do it, and using the grand kids is the best way. You won't have to buy the disc, you can rent it, and more than likely play it in the Xbox. Tell then what you want to do and they'll be able to figure it out.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you buy a disc player go with a Blu-ray player, not a DVD player ( the Blu-ray player can also play DVD discs).
If you stream from the grandkids X-Box, stream in HD.
If you play a disc on the grandkids X-Box, go Blu-Ray.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seems like a couple ways to do it, and using the grand kids is the best way. You won't have to buy the disc, you can rent it, and more than likely play it in the Xbox. Tell then what you want to do and they'll be able to figure it out.
That sounds like a plan A++. The 8 yr. old has been using computer since he was 6 heis my tech guy

·
Administrator
19,836 Posts
If you would be so kind, you've piqued my curiosity now. Let us know how you end up working this out when you do. And of course how/if you and/or they liked the movie.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts