Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just swapped my steering box out to a factory new Lares Inc replacement 16:1 manual box. Im having a bit of an issue with reinstalling my pitman arm. Im hitting it with my impact gun, which is no slacker when it comes to torque.. Im cranking on it with a breaker bar, but without killing myself, this seems to be the furthest it will go on..

I made sure to double, triple and even quadruple check the spline alignment... How far is this thing supposed to be on here? All the way sucked up to the base of the box??

Thanks.

Pic for reference:

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
So I just swapped my steering box out to a factory new Lares Inc replacement 16:1 manual box. Im having a bit of an issue with reinstalling my pitman arm. Im hitting it with my impact gun, which is no slacker when it comes to torque.. Im cranking on it with a breaker bar, but without killing myself, this seems to be the furthest it will go on..

I made sure to double, triple and even quadruple check the spline alignment... How far is this thing supposed to be on here? All the way sucked up to the base of the box??

Thanks.

Pic for reference:
That photo doesn't work for me. I'd need to see the bottom...... you need room for the split lock washer and nut.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you have enough threads for the nut that'll work.
Looks like I do, thanks for the help!
That photo doesn't work for me. I'd need to see the bottom...... you need room for the split lock washer and nut.

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995
I have plenty of room now.. So just put the lock washer and nut on and torque to 110ft lbs?

·
Registered
9,219 Posts
Yup.
Put the washer and nut on and torque it.....

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

Reactions: SVThuh

·
Registered
40 Posts
Impact guns are not a good idea without countering it with a pipe on the pitman arm, never let the shock of an impact gun drive the box to an end stop, it puts the hammering action on the box internals. Same goes for the torque wrench, support the arm to take the strain off the box internals.

I could go on about not using an impact gun on the crank damper bolt also, nice smooth torque is always better

1 - 7 of 7 Posts