Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Drove the Mustang into town about 30 minutes from my house. Went to the movies drove the car to the local eatery and then to the parts store where i noticed coolant leaking slightly but thought it was the overflow. started driving down the road got two stop lights down when the temp. gague went 3/4 of the way over and I started to hear a thunking noise pulled into the wal- mart parking lot found the noise to be the radiator cap clicking in and out, and fluid going everywhere. let it cool down thought it was just over heating real bad refilled it with fluid tried driving it again but it just overheated again. Called dad to come and get me with the car dolly. I lost the waterpump on thursday but replaced it and now this happens, I don't remember if i replace the thermostat since I owned the car. What do you guys thinks is going on?

Hoovebeats are louder than heartbeats anyday!!!!!!!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
was it doing this before you replaced the water pump?

Dennis Curran
'65 Mustang Coupe

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would replace the thermostat in case its not opening. If you have never changed it, it might be coroded or rusty. Also if the rad cap is old, it never hurts to put a new one on. If the water pump is new I wouldn't be suspecting it. What motor's in the car? I was curious if it has a by-pass hose.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point by jumbyhead. If it was doing the same thing before it could be an internal problem. Have you played with the timing lately?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
remove the cap and look in the radiator at the radiator core. you see a lot of buildup? antifreeze nice and green? you can use a superflush and then replace the antifreeze.

Thermostat is possible, from a cool engine remove the cap and start the engine. after about 5 minutes do you see the antifreeze starting to flow? if the thermostat isn't opening you won't it won;t flow. the car will just heat up. or there cheap, just replace it.

MotorHead

http://www.alltel.net/~motorhead/mustang2.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It didn't have this problem before i replaced the water pump but i just started driving it for about three weeks. I have the 289 with a 2barrel (don't know if you need tha carb size but they always asked it at autozone). Going to replace the thermostat tomorrow if I can get one

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
You may have got some bit of junk from the old water pump gasket in the cooling system. Thats guaranteed to clog up the thermostat eventually when it finally finds its way up there. RTV is the worst about doing that.

You can see my 65 fastback at: http://hottarod.stangnet.com/
http://members.aol.com/macstang/Gifs/macstang3.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the fluid looked green when i blew it all over the parking lot!!!! but i just put it in on thursday I nevre flushed the radiator so maybe i will do that when I do the thermostat.

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Sounds like you could have air bubbles/pockets in the system... common when changing water pumps. Did you run the engine after the install with the radiator cap off? You should run it like this for a while until you don't see any bursts coming out, watch the fluid too, when the thermostat opens you will see the coolant begin flowing.

[email protected]
1967 351W Convertible
2000 Mustang GT

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jeff, check your rad cap too. Make sure that the rubber gasket on the bottom is not swollen larger than the metal part. If it is swollen it will restrict the over flow and cause major pressure build up. Remember that there should only be about 13 to 15 pounds pressure max before the cap will release. If it doesn't allow a release of pressure then you will start to blow gaskets, water pump, rad, heater core, hoses etc..- The reason I know this is it happened to me in my 88 F250. Still p%#@$% me off. Also when the car is running, and not hot yet( Make sure of that) take your rad cap off and look for air bubbles in the rad. You may bave a blown head gasket that is blowing into a water jacket. This may be why you had to replace the water pump too because of pressure build up.
One thing that I always will do, cause some jober parts aren't that good, take your old thermostat and the new one and put them in a pot of water on the stove and let them boil. Watch them both and see if they both open or close at around the same time{ as long as they are the same temp of course} but if they both open and close quite easy at around the same time, then you know that the thermostat isn't the cause.

Ps- The water pump that you just put on your car, is it a factory or after market style. Some after market styles are not made for highway/ city use?? Just a thought. Also it wasn't a reverse dirrection pump by any chance? Was the impeller the same as the one that you took off? My brother who is a Ford mech, said that there are some inferior pumps out there. Mind you this is only if your car didn't do any of this before you changed your waterpump.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Darel on 04/22/01 01:03 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

1 - 11 of 11 Posts