Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1966 Mustang Coupe. Ever since I put in a Hi-Po V8 the REAR shakes during acceleration. Also when i power shift from 3rd to 4th the rear hops so much the wheels hit the fender and i almost loose it! It has new leaf spring(standard) Traction bars and adn all hardware is new. I can not figure this out! the car is meant to be raced and this problem prevents me from doing it. PLEASE HELP!!!! Send a direct e-mail if you would like [email protected] Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I race but not street race. Either way it does it when i normally drive as well. I have replace the u-joint and I had a "drive shaft guy" set the pinion angle from what I know he put 2 degree shims under the rear which helped, but did not slove the problem.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no he did not. I was thinking that as well but it drives so good down the highway. and it hops really bad only from a 3rd to 4th power shift

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Just so we get the accurate description let me see if I get this right.

Lets go with the drive normal mode:
Slowly accelerate until a certain speed and RPM at a particular speed (from 2nd to 3rd gear) the rear starts to hop.
Does it hop when in 2nd gear going down the road? Not spinning tires.
Does it hop in 3rd gear when going down the road? Not spinning tires.

If the above is happening:
Does it stop the minute you push in the clutch?
Does it stop when you simply let off the gas?

I am trying to determine if you have an internal Trans problem.

What is the drive Tran? type of tranny and such.

A bad universal will act like you describe. Some times (even when new) a universal will bind if something went wrong when assembling it.

Take the shaft out of the rear to determine this. It is simply a couple of nuts to remove it from the pumpkin. See if the universal is Floppy and free both ways. If so, the pull it from the trans and check that end too. This will answer one questionable area...and it is free with almost no tools. Just be careful of the caps and tape them if they seem to want to pop apart from grease pressure.

A bad universal can make an awful lot of loud banging in the rear area...feels like the car is falling apart.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts