Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am so glad this forum exists, otherwise I would be completely screwed. Ok so here is the deal, i updated my suspension and hadnt gotten to getting an alignment and my two frotn tires went bald on the inside , I took them to a shop to get them replaced and I ended up going one size taller. I had done the shelby drop and installed lowering springs. when i put the new tires on the rubbed super bad so I decided to install the factory height springs to raise the car up some. I took out my right front passenger lowering spring and installed the new factory height. immediately I didnt like it. then i read a few posts and realized i should have gotten smaller tires instead of larger, I took the tires back and exchanged them for a smaller size 215/45/17 from 235/50/17. I then took the factory ride height springs off as recommended here and I went back to my lowering springs.
Caveat,,, like a dumas (rookie mistake) when removing the springs instead of supporting using the control arm I put the jack under the front rotor.....
I got everything back in place springs, shocks tires and took her out for a ride today and it was amazing, lots of fun no rubbing right height was perfect then I made a turn and it sounded like my PS went out, It was still working car turning however I noticed that everytime i turned the wheel left or right it made a noise that sounded like it was grinding. I pulled it into the garage,,,, no leaks. I topped of the power steering pump with fluid still making the sound.
I checked the forum before posting and most people talk about a high pitched squealing whining sound (eeeeeeeeee) this is more of a low pitched gurgle like something may be rubbing.... Did I mess something up in my shock installation, or could it just be timing, the power steering pump is going out. I will say when I turn the steering wheel from left to right I can feel a vibration in the wheel.

HElP Me ,Obi-Wan Kenobi, your'e my only hope

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and no it was not making this noise before I installed the springs, its a 67 coupe with a 302 and C4

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

·
Registered
297 Posts
Did you bleed air from the system? (Were the PS hoses disturbed?)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
You said you "jacked it by the rotor"... check the dust shield right behind it that you haven't bent it in next to the rotor.

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Could be a number of things.
Get a friend to turn the wheel. You get under hood, under car and pinpoint the device/area the noise is coming from. Can't tell for sure, get a 3/4 foot piece of garden hose. Put on end to you ear, other end seeking out the area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Maybe check it with the car running but not moving by turning the steering wheel. No noise then not power steering and likely brakes.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did bend the dust shield could that be causing the noise, how so? it doesnt appear to be touching anything.

I didnt bleed the system, but i could have gotten air in there if it was empty right? Im hoping that is what it is

·
Registered
383 Posts
The only way bending the shield would make noise would if it was rubbing on the brake rotor. If you screwed up and had the wheel bearings way to loose the rotor could move and hit the shield but you have bigger problems.

If the pump is bad its going to make noise while sitting there idling or driving down the road. If the noise is only there while driving turn the engine off and see if the noise goes away. A guy turned off the engine in an airplane above in my neighborhood and it did not restart. It ended upside down in a field up the street. The guy was fine. They left the plane overnight and somebody stole the engine out it. It just wasn't his day.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts