Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new stock 55 amp alternator for my '67. Going to hook it all up but the manual says not to hook up the ground lead to the FIELD post on the back of the alt., yet that is where the original loom seems to set itself from the last alt. Both were Motorcraft. What is the FIELD post for? The ground lead in the loom won't reach the GRD post on the alt. Everything looks like it's supposed to, but the manual says different.
HELP before I fry something.
Thanks

·
Registered
383 Posts
Hi, are you sure 55 amp? On a 65 amp you have 4 connections on alt. STA. white with black stripe, FLD. white, BAT. black and GRD. black with red stripe. You also have a black with red stripe wire coming off the harness that bolts to the block. It is tied to the same ground in the harness. The black/red stripe wire closest to the BAT. FLD.STA. wires is the one that goes on the alt. This is for a 65 amp. but it shows the same for all engine types. The weird thing is the Osborn wiring colours are different than the manual.
Mike.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
the field post takes the regulator output and controls the alt output. have diagrams for Autolight generators from '68 Shop Manual i can scan and e-mail you. PM me if you want them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts