Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to put a seal kit in the ps pump for my '70. I have the pulley and all the brackets and the big nut in the back off, but I can't get the pump out of the reservoir, any help is appreciated.
Matt

·
Registered
838 Posts
I'm trying to put a seal kit in the ps pump for my '70. I have the pulley and all the brackets and the big nut in the back off, but I can't get the pump out of the reservoir, any help is appreciated.
Matt
There is a big O-Ring around the cover of the pump which probably has a pretty good grip. On mine when I was sure that was the only thing holding it in I took a rubber mallet and tapped on the back of the threaded stub where the high pressure hose threads on to. after a little bit you could see the unit separating.

Take your time and it should loosen up.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tried that, the threaded piece came loose inside the pump, the pump didn't budge from the reservoir.

·
Registered
838 Posts
That will happen... You can smack it pretty good as long as it's a rubber mallet.

The other thing you could try is spraying liquid wrench around the front lip to have it soak in between the cover and the housing. I know some guys might try to very carefully use a small screw driver to pry the cover off but I would not endorse that.

If is the original pump it's been on there a long time but it will come loose, it just takes patience.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I got it out, but the threaded piece that goes out the back now spins freely, is it supposed to be like that?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I got it out, but the threaded piece that goes out the back now spins freely, is it supposed to be like that?
Yes..... there will be a new copper washer in your rebuild kit that goes between the pump housing and the outer housing on the inside and then the nut on the outside you took off gets screwed on compresses that copper washer to form a seal.

You're good.

·
Registered
35,289 Posts
So how do I tighten the nut on the outside if the threaded part is spinning freely on the inside?
Hold on to the valve's threaded portion while you snug up the nut. If you can't hold it with your fingers, find a piece of scrap hose that will fit over it and grab around it with a pair of pliers.

PS: It doesn't have to be really, really tight...just enough to hold the reservoir on and compress the 2 seals.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The one I'm resealing is a Cardone unit off eBay, 6 months old. It has leaked out the back almost since new. The gasket between the pump and reservoir was a thin cardboard gasket. Junk.

·
Registered
35,289 Posts
The one I'm resealing is a Cardone unit off eBay, 6 months old. It has leaked out the back almost since new. The gasket between the pump and reservoir was a thin cardboard gasket. Junk.
Yep. Probably the same was used on the far inside between the pump housing and valve. Did you replace the seals? I think they're fiber.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
We have a problem Houston!!!

The threaded fitting is spot welded in the pumps--It was only 65 66 Thompson that the fitting was indeed a press seal inside the internal canister.

So, tapping on that fitting broke it loose. Will be very tough to hold it to put the nuts on.

·
Registered
838 Posts
We have a problem Houston!!!

The threaded fitting is spot welded in the pumps--It was only 65 66 Thompson that the fitting was indeed a press seal inside the internal canister.

So, tapping on that fitting broke it loose. Will be very tough to hold it to put the nuts on.
Should be able to re-tack it though if he wanted to right? I know mine was loose on my 69 (probably for the same reason) but I got it reassembled and never had any issues with leaks but I was able to tighten the nut.

I did use my old high pressure hose threaded onto the fitting to hold the fitting still while tightening down on the nut.

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks guys. I ended up re using my old pump and the reservoir from cardone. I cleaned up the canister and pump where the fiber seal goes between them. The new kit didn't come with any instructions, any idea where the small copper washer goes?

·
Registered
916 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Dan, I was hoping you would chime in. If I still have problems I will send it your way for some more knowledgeable care.
Matt

·
Registered
35,289 Posts
Together, we can accomplish it, I'll Guaranteeeee!!!

The Guaranteeeeeee!! is Chef Justin Wilson trade mark. Rest in Piece Justin.
Damn! I was trying to remember his name last week while chatting with my Mom. I used to love his show and pronunciation of certain words...like "un-yown".

·
Registered
521 Posts
Rebuild Parts for the Thompson pump

Hey I noticed that IDSRVIT metioned a “rebuild kit”. Can one sttill get a rebuild kit for one of these old Thompson pumps? I’m rebuilding my 1970 pump as well and I’m needing a replacement outer canister “O” ring as well as the copper washer (the diagram refers to as “Fitting Gasket 3D594). <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
I’ve tried inquiring from seal manufactures but nobody apparently has them and I was actually going to dump this otherwise rebuild pump for a Saginaw for the lack of these two critical sealing parts. Dan – are you able to get a replacement “O” ring and the outer-to-inner can seal washer?<o:p></o:p>

Attachments

·
Registered
521 Posts
What the hell is with this: ffice<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@[email protected]@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape style="WIDTH: 11.25pt; HEIGHT: 11.25pt" id=_x0000_i1025 alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/images/smilies/blush.gif" src="file:///C:\DOCUME~1\Haskins\LOCALS~1\Temp\msohtml1\01\clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
It keeps injecting itself in my messages and I can’t edit it out later (!!).<o:p></o:p>

1 - 20 of 21 Posts