Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could someone please tell me what is wrong with the speedo on my 66? I had the gauge cluster out recently and as usual had to undo the speedo cable to remove the cluster. I put the autometer gauges in my cluster (oil/water/volt) awhile back and everything was great, I just had to adjust one light bulb that was shining a little too bright. Well I put the cable back on after turning the speedo by hand, from behind of course, to get it to zero. Now, it stays at about 70 or so and goes past the max and bottoms out! It works, but between around 70 to max... What have I done wrong? I checked under the car and took it loose there and put it back to be sure it was engaged there and it was okay down there. Help :(

·
Registered
762 Posts
I have removed my speedometer cable on two 66 Mustangs at least a dozen times...I never "turned anything by hand" to get it back to 0. The rate at which the cable spins around is what generates the speed. I think your 'hand job' is what caused the problem...not sure how to fix it.

G

·
Boy, that's a weird one! You certainly shouldn't have to zero the speedo--it's essentially a voltmeter, deflecting when the spinning speedo cable generates a tiny voltage. It should be on zero always unless you're moving. Could be that speedo's had it.

·
4,140 Posts
[Beavis voice]shutup butthead[/Beavis voice]

http://www.comune.lucca.it/COMICS/video_lucca/video_lucca_no98/gif/beavis.jpg
fd

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
IIRC, it's entirley machanical. I can turn it by hand on the back of mine and get it up to 60mph. For 1/4 of a second. then it falls back to zero.
The best i can think of is just a bad speedo, but if it was good before you pulled it, that kinda rules that out. But if you have to "zero" it by hand, i'd say something inside is sticking.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
you need a new speedo head. if the needle stayed anywere but back against the pin it is rusted or oxydized to badly. it basicly works off of syntrifical force, as the cable spins, it rlls the mechanism to were the needle raises. if it was stuck at 70, ity ws not falling back to dead end. bottom line: change the speedo head
they are plentiful around here

·
Registered
6,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'll take it loose one more time just to be sure the cable isn't binding it(I greased the cable awhile back). Thanks...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts