Vintage Mustang Forums banner

HELP Starter problems on my 66 Stang???

2K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  DAVZ289 
G
#1 ·
I have now put in three different starters in my 66 mustang, 289 standard. All I get is spin /forums/images/icons/frown.gif the bendex gear is not engaging, is there different throw lengths I measured the distance and the bendex gear is not traveling far enough to make full contact with the flywheel. The starter is a rebuild should I try going to FORD parts and see what they have to offer??? Any suggestions?
Thanks Guys!!!

G
#3 ·
This is just a starter replacement the old one gave up, now the new one is a no go! Just spins when I try to start it. I tested the starter on the bench and all is good?? Any ideas?
Dave

G
#4 ·
A couple of things come to mind:

One is that the starter may not be seeing the full current from the battery. You mentioned a bench start checked OK. If you are bench checking with a battery and jumper cables there is a difference than the car application, which goes through the solenoid and several connections. You can jumper across the solenoid with jumper cables and this would eliminate the solenoid from the loop and be that same as a bench test. Be ready to quickly remove the jumper in the event the starter does engage and starts the engine. Better yet, remove the coil wire to prevent an inadvertent start. On this same line of thought, if the starter sounds like it is not coming up to speed and the solenoid jump doesn’t work. Check the ground connection from the battery to the block to ensure a good connection, remove the connection and clean and retighten. Also check solenoid bolted cable connections for a solid connection.

Another thought is that teeth on the flywheel are missing. Look into the bell housing and ensure that the teeth are in good shape.

Also, the parts guys could have given you an incorrect part. It’s always a good idea to do a visual comparison from the old part to the new one prior to taking it home.

I hope this helps!

#8 ·
OK, here's the deal. All of the books have the starters for early mustangs wrong. The manual starter listed is really the one for the automagic, and the automagic starter listed is the one for the manual. The difference is in the nose length and the housing diameter.

If you doubt me, go back and get one of each. Put each in and see which one works. Take the other back.

#9 ·
Click on "My Home" at the Top of the Page. Click on "edit" next to Personal Information. In the Signature line use

[image}link to your image[/][/image} ([color:red]substitute ] for }</font color=red> ) and if your image host supports offsite loading of images, you should be all set.

G
#10 ·
Midlife You nailed it right on the money, There books are wrong at the parts dept at three different shops. I picked up a starter today for a automatic trans bolted it in my standard trans and "BAM" she works perfect!!!!!
Thanks to all the guys on this forum!!!! Some good info on here.
Now I may be able to take her down to Pony Trails in the US sounds like it maybe fun!
Thanks again!!!

G
#12 ·
Well I told four parts supply stores today on Vancouver Island B.C. Canada, they all updated there parts books so slowly the word will get out.
Again Thanks!!
Nice to have it running again for the weekend /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

#13 ·
Dang--

That seems to solve my mystery too Midlife. I picked on up for an auto transmission, and the the gear doesn't back out far enough to clear the flywheel, so I ended up spacing the thing out so that it would have enough room to disengage. Oh well, it is a lifetime warranty unit, so I guess I will go and get the right one.

Thanks
Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.