Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I remove the power steering control valve unit with out dropping down everything else.. ie tie rods, idler arms,power steering cylinder...If so how? I've removed all the nuts and it seems to still be in there solid as a rock. I'm leaking fluid from the brass socket and ball stud. HELP!!! car is a 66.

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
A ball joint puller would probably be needed; it's jaws would snare the center link while the center bolt would push out the sterring cylinder's stud. There are similar pullers with adjustible jaws which could do the same.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I imagine it could be done.

1) remove the cap via the two screws.
2) remove the locknut on the adjusting rod.
3) remove the four hoses from the valve. be prepared to catch the fluid somehow.
4) remove the two bolts holding the valve to the drag link.

If you want to remove the ballstud. Rent a tie rod end separator from Autozone or similar.

5) remove the cotter pin from the ballstud nut
6) loosen the nut on the ballstud, do not remove it, unscrew it until flush with the end of the ballstud
7) put tie rod end puller on drag link, with the tensioning screw against the ballstud. Crank down on it until it pops loose (you will be glad you left the nut on).
8) Pull out on adjustment bolt (long bolt sticking through the valve). Locate the blocking pin next to the drag link flange it should push out easily with a drift punch or awl.
9) Use a crescent wrench to loosen this large nut from the ball stud sleeve.
10) Lay the ball stud down in the sleeve and remove the sleeve from the drag link

Check out Alamo Classic Mustang's picture at
http://www.alamoclassicmustang.com/partsvalves.html

http://www.alamoclassicmustang.com/valveA-Z.jpg

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
whoops, when removing the ballstud from the pittman arm, put the tie rod separator on the pittman arm, not the drag link.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts