Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ALright, so i just got my headers on and i took it up and down the street. i put it in drive and haul down the street, then coming back i stuck it in 1, and then gunned it, it was wet so it shot straight up to 5000 rpms, and then i let off and let the tires grab and then gunned it down the street to 5000 again, after letting off the throttle the car's rpms come down as normal and then shuts off. i tried to restart it because this kind of thing has happened before, and it would usually restart, but it wouldnt start, and then right after tryign to start it there was a tick sound, that was getting slower and slower kinda like this
Tick..tick...tick.....tick.....tick..............tick, spaced out further apart then it stops after about 15 seconds, it sounded like it was coming from the middle of the engine.

What do you guys think this could be? i was guessing pushrods because the tick sounds like a metal against metal type of thing. and i have bent a few of them before, and they are stock, while the springs and everything else are not.

Thank you for your opinions and advice.

Raging

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
anyone?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Are you sure it's not an electric fuel pump????

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
its a mechanical fuel pump. why would an electric one make a tick?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
Are you saying the car started and then it made the ticking sound? Or it won't start and the ticking sound occurs when you let off the starter?

·
Registered
194 Posts
Or are you saying it is ticking while you are trying to start it? If so, than it sounds like your starter solenoid is clicking, which means your battery is dead, which means either your alternator isn't charging or your voltage regulator is shot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ticking occurs with i let off the starter, not during starting, onlyafter, and it doesnt sound like aa solinoid tick, its a metal vs metal sounding tick, more of a ting.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Ohhh the 289 engine tick. I have sorta the same thing happening with mine. Goes away after the cars been running about 10 min. Could be a loose a rocker arm...almost time to take her out of storage and find out!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
its not while its running, the car wont start, but after tricking to start it will tick, i cant figure it out, i'll try and figure it out tonight.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
I'm going to guess a bad battery cable connection or possibly a positive cable melted and shorted to the new headers.
The ticking in such a case would be the glowing hot shorted connection cooling back down after you let off the ignition switch.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I have the same tick in mine when I turn the engine over and don't start it. I assume it's the springs trying to move to their relaxed position, but I could be wrong.

Mine is a 5.0 though. But it definitely sounds like springs under tension 'ticking' themselves somewhere.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gypsy, where is it going to be shorting on the new headers?

and its a fading tick, starts fast then slows down and stops.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I thought we figured out it was a mechanical tick, coming from inside the engine.

In whcih case, I'm sticking with my springs/pushrods theory.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it is a mechanical tick, i was just wondering how that would happen.

Thank you guys for all your input. imma take care of it tonight. hopefully i can get it started.

·
Premium Member
5,113 Posts
Bad or binding spring/arm on the mechanical fuel pump?
Dave

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,662 Posts
OK now...the car cranks normally, but the engine won't fire up, and just after trying to get it started the countdown tick starts? Right? I don't know, but I doubt rockers/pushrods making noise in an engine that isn't turning.
As for how a starter cable can get on the headers, I don't know. I've never seen your car. But I've seen it happen more than a few times to other people. Just guessing because you say car was fine, put on new headers, ran long enough to get hot, died, and now won't restart. Plus a countdown ticking noise. All I could think of that fit was a damaged battery cable. Noises can be difficult to diagnose in person, over the net we can only offer suggestions on things to look at based on experience and guesswork. Good luck investigating.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you gypsy,you got it right, i understand that you guys couldnt tell me what was wrong but the opinions and suggestions helped, i took of a valve cover and checked everything out, it looked fine, nothing was bent. i then go to start the car and it started in a snap, im still a little cautious, as i dont know what caused it in the first place, but thank you all for your help. i really appreciate it. i love having this forum, being able to put of stupid questions and get every possible answer, it actually helps alot. so thank you.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts