Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm replacing the timing chain on a '65 289. The perceived problem I'm having is that when I put the upper sprocket on, the dowell does not stick about past the face and thereby would not engage with the fuel pump eccentric. :shrug:

Do I put the dowell in after the sprocket are on?

The new sprocket does not appear to be any deeper (thicker) than the old one.

Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks,
Paul

·
Premium Member
10,945 Posts
there are 2 timing chain sprockets for the sb ford. the early type for the one piece fuel pump eccentric and the later one for the 2 piece fuel pump eccentric. the 2 piece eccentric requires the use of a 1.125" dowel pin and the original 289 1 piece eccentric requires the use of a 1.375" dowel pin. its hard to say whats going on without actually being there to see it but something aint right. its possible you were sold the later timing chain set.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
20,640 Posts
Last new camshaft I bought came with new dowel pins, one short, one long. So was covered either way. Different parts combos require different lengths.
I do recall when putting on a new timing chain one time I had to dig into my stash for the longer dowel pin as the one on the engine was too short for some reason. Been a while back and details of how and why are a bit foggy. I do know I would have been upgrading to a double roller chain set because that's all I ever use.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts