Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 66 289 auto. The car has a newer water pump and timing cover, but I don't think that there is a timing pointer on the the cover. I thought that it should be on the drivers side of the engine, but I don't see it there. Am I looking in the wrong place. Is there a pointer that I can get for the car. I want to make sure that the timing is set correctly.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The car has a newer water pump and timing cover
How "newer"?

The 289 had a cast in pointer on the left side. It's just a round nob, with a flat "blade" sticking out the end.

The early 302's, through '69 (inclusive) used a bolt on timing pointer that available from any Mustang parts house. It used the bottom most front timing chain cover bolt and a small bolt into a boss cast into the cover.

Starting in '70, when everything changed (balancer, pullies, brackets, water pump, etc.) the timing pointer and marks were moved to the right side and used a bolt on pointer (not available new) that used the bottom 2 front bolts of the timing chain cover to attach. There are several versions of this pointer, and which one to use depends on the location of the marks on the dampner.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The timing cover is brand new. So the pointer should be located on the Driver's side of the car?, and will I be able to bold one on.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts