Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First Id like to say you guys are all great. Love the content on here.

I bought my 67 last year and have been doing some small upgrades (sound system, radiator, fan, etc).

Very interested in doing the following:
-T5 Conversion
-Shelby Drop
-Front / Rear suspension upgrade (any recommendations on kits)
-Improved breaks (front and rear)

I am having the following issues with the car:
-occasional vapor lock
-super tight steering when at slow speeds
-loose steering at higher speeds
Any guidance would be much appreciated. Pretty big newb here from dallas but love this!!!

What else would you recommend I upgrade on the car? Any thoughts on how to solve the issues I am having?

Best,

M

·
Registered
36,500 Posts
I bought my 67 last year and have been doing some small upgrades (sound system, radiator, fan, etc).

Very interested in doing the following:
-T5 Conversion
Good choice, gives better accel, better passing, better mileage
-Shelby Drop
Well, I call it the Arning drop, because it was invented by Klaus Arning, as part of the IRS option. Best thing since sliced bread. Add a 1" front sway bar and export brace when you do it.
See above. GT-rate front and rear springs, and shocks (I like the Kayaba Gas-A-Just, some find them too stiff, so use Excel-G)
-Improved brakes (front and rear)
Get the factory K/H style front discs, forget altering the rears. Waste of money on the street. Get power boost only if you desperately need it. I can stop quickly and safely from way past legal speeds, and run autocross and time trials with manual disc.
-occasional vapor lock
What carb and intake?
Do you have power steering?

·
Registered
449 Posts
As others will chime in on, I'm sure: Talk to Street or Track or Opentracker racing for brake and suspension upgrades if budget will allow, otherwise bring back to stock with quality replacement parts. For the steering consider having the box rebuilt by Chocostang, he is very highly recommended on here.

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
As you have stated already... yes on the T5 and the Shelby drop. I'd spend a little more on the shocks and suspension... something like a Koni or Bilstein shock. Opentracker sells kits with Bilstein shocks in them as do several other vendors, and some kits that I believe come with leaf springs and roller spring perches. I'd definitely recommend the roller spring perches as well as possibly UCA's/LCA's, bushings and so on... depending on the age/condition yours are in. For brakes it depends on what you have, what your budget is and what you intend on doing with the car. 4 wheel drum brakes are fine for a cruiser or what not. If you want you can upgrade the fronts to disc, power if you want to spend the extra money and 4 wheel disc if you want to spend even more money. For the steering I'd look into what you have, maybe having the steering box rebuilt. But first start off with an alignment to make sure that's all squared away first and your car isn't pulling to one side or the other.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@22GT -Thank you for your time and responses. I have responded below.

-T5 Conversion
Good choice, gives better accel, better passing, better mileage
My only concern is this will be very costly. I do not have the skills required to complete this so i will have to have a shop do it.

-Shelby Drop
Well, I call it the Arning drop, because it was invented by Klaus Arning, as part of the IRS option. Best thing since sliced bread. Add a 1" front sway bar and export brace when you do it.
Purchased the sway bar and export brace. Thank you for the recommendation.

See above. GT-rate front and rear springs, and shocks (I like the Kayaba Gas-A-Just, some find them too stiff, so use Excel-G)
I will take a look at these options. Thank you!

-Improved brakes (front and rear)
Get the factory K/H style front discs, forget altering the rears. Waste of money on the street. Get power boost only if you desperately need it. I can stop quickly and safely from way past legal speeds, and run autocross and time trials with manual disc.
Appreciate the experience. Wont be adding rear.

-occasional vapor lock
What carb and intake?
Carb is a Holley, i am going to have an expert look at it.
Not exactly sure of the intake

Do you have power steering?
It does, but looks like it needs to be upgraded.

Do you have any other recommendations on key upgrades?
Thank you again!

·
Banned
3,546 Posts
Is the car an automatic or manual right now? If it's an automatic it's going to cost quite a bit more to have it swapped over to a 5spd as opposed to if it's already a manual now. You could buy a used T-5 on Craigslist or eBay for less than $1k and do most, if not all of the work yourself. I'd look into roller spring perches, Koni or Bilstein shocks, check your UCA's/LCA's and all of your other suspension parts, especially bushings, as the rubber will get hard and brittle and make your car squeak or drive rough.

·
Registered
152 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts