Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn off the wiper switch, they stop immediately, instead of returning to the park (bottom) position. Is this normal, or do I have a bad switch or wiper motor? Pretty sure my car doesn't have a washer option either.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
4,129 Posts
First off do you have the service manual for the 69 Mustang? If you don't it is a good thing to have. I had the same problem on my 67, however it was a simple fix. Well it should have been. :: In 67 there is a little foot pump for the wiper fluid and it also activates the wipers. I did not have a good connection at the pump harness. But needless to say after trying several different wiper switches I pulled the wiper motor and tried my spare. It also would not park. So I took it apart and checked the park setting, hooked up the jumper wire and bench tested it. Well that is after a few times of taking it apart and putting it back together again. :p Needless to say I did not need to do all of that as the motor was not the problem. :( But the point of all this is if it is not the switch, then there is an adjustment for the park position outlined in the service manual. fd

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just looked at the service manual (what a concept...). Vol 3 Sect 15-05-01 says " ...the park switch is located in the gear cover...", and goes on to say how to adjust it. Apparantly there's a switch in there, mine must be busted.

Thanks for the tip!! next time I'll give the manual a second try...

·
Registered
709 Posts
I adjusted the one in my '66. It is a pain if you do not work with electric motors much but if you '69 is like my '66, you will have to pull the cover of off the motor. That means to put it back together will require reassembling the brushes, holding them back and sliding the cover back on. The pin is a small plastic piece that works off of a cam in the gear box section. Whenever the motor is in the park position the cam pushes on the pin, it moves a contact inside the motor to another contact and that is how the motor 'knows' where park is. The One of the contacts is adjustable with a screw and this is what your manual should be referring to.
-Brian

·
Registered
762 Posts
I went through this last weekend on my convertible....hanging upside down under the dash ready to pull the motor (GULP!). Then I noticed a copper lug on a white plastic fitting on the motor and wondered if a wire should be on there. Found the wire to fit the spade lug and put it on. Problem fixed. I'd pull the motor only after everything else checks out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts