Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 Mustang that I cannot keep running,
we bought this 4 years ago and it will start but will stall and we have rebuilt the carb, new gas tank and fuel pump, new timing chain and water pump. I would like to get it to stay running and I wanted to ask if there are any members that are mechanics or very experienced in these cars that possibly to take a look at it and give me an opinion on what should be done. it has a 289 and I know it does smoke and needs an exhust but the engine itself sounds pretty good.
I would also be willing to pay someone to look at it as I'm not looking for a freebie and I would like someone that knows alot about these.
I just decided to post now and hopefully when it warms up again someone could look at it since its in the driveway currently.
Thanks for your time
Dave
Hoffman Estates, IL

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
real basic suggestion. try raising the idle speed and see if that helps.
you can also look for vacuum leaks.
good luck.
Russ

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
If you can not keep it running by feathering the gas pedal I would bet that you have a loss of power to the coil when the ign key is in the run position. Check for voltage at the coil with the key in the run position.

·
Registered
5,150 Posts
Then russ may have nailed it. Did you have this problem prior to installing all of the new parts? Check the spark plug wires to make sure they are in the right firing order on the dizzy cap and going to the correct cylinder. It's possible you could have a valve train problem as well. It's hard to say with out being able to look at it in person. If you were closer I would stop by and help. but one thing at a time. Don't change anything else until you have proven it's bad.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Myron ran like that after we rebuilt the carb...come to find out we were given the wrong gaskets....like RTM said find the problem first, then replace.
Good luck :)
Robin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts