Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to FINALLY add A/C to the car since it seems I will be having some money available for use soon.

What I have:
(sorry I dont know the technical names)
-68 mustang that originally came with a/c
-the 3 a/c dash vents and vent hoses
-the control panel that goes above the LH a/c vent
-"defrost" plastic piece that goes under the dash
-huge black "box" under RH dash where the air comes in from the cowl and the heater and a/c "radiators" are located
-fan motor and curved housing where the motor, middle vent, and defroster unite

What I need: (or think I need)
-vaccum lines
-vaccum canisters(if not rebuildable)
-all engine components such as compressor, dryer, condenser, brackets, pulleys...

All of the pieces in the first list I have in a box in the garage are in a rebuildable condition, so IDK if I should refurbish them (fix any cracks, corrosion, replace seals, and paint them) or if I should by a "kit" that comes with all new and improved interior pieces, vaccum hoses, cables, and engine components. Sometimes it is cheaper to buy a kit than try and piece stuff together and try to mate new components with old.
Not to mention all the small items and nuts and bolts they sell for like 6 bucks each that I dont even know about. That and I dont have any plans or instructions to follow since I have never done an a/c.

What are your ideas? Should I tackle this project piece by piece or go for the whole enchilada? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I forgot to mention I wanted to keep the stock look of the in dash a/c originally on the car. Have any of you guys used an after market kit like classic auto air's "perfect fit" and made it to fit the stock vents? or the vintage air one?

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
I have factory AC in my car. Under the hood I used the CAA retrofit kit for the Sanden compressor. It replaced everything except the condenser and the dryer under the hood. Nothing changed on the interior. CAA will have everything you need to go factory, aftermarket or anything in between.

Before you proceed MAKE SURE that your evaporator (in the big black box) is good. It's an expensive piece and OEM ones can be bad and/or clogged after all these years. I tried using one that had been open to the elements for a while and it was so full of junk that all it did was clog up my system. Had to get a new one.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
It gets a little warm down in the valley without A/C in the Pony, huh Carlos?! :lol:

While it's not stock, +1 for using a Sanden compressor. Much quieter, more efficient and easier to maintain.

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Sorry to butt in on this topic. My '68 has factory AC. I removed the entire
system about 10 years ago to do sheet metal repair. All I did was tape off
the fittings. I'm hoping an auto AC shop can clean this stuff out so it can
be used. Is this unrealistic. It all worked great before I tore it out.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Slim,
As long as nothing has gotten into the system, generally there's no problems. There are several concerns though. Make SURE to replace the filter/drier.....PERIOD! It contains a desiccant that breaks down over time when the system is open. The broken down material will usually be a powdery substance which can start clogging the system.

The other thing is; since your system has probably been charged with R-12 it's entire life, you need it flushed and (bare minimum), any/all rubber seals and gaskets replaced in the system (including compressor seals). If your A/C lines are original rubber (as opposed to nylon lined rubber), they'll need to be replaced too.

The reason for all this is R-12 is pretty hard to come by in a lot of areas now. If it's still available in your area you can fore go replacing all the rubber stuff (except "o"-rings, cheap insurance against leaks). If it's not available, your system will be re-charged with R-134a. It is NOT compatible with R-12.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was getting convinced on the CAA perfect fit system that will run me about 1600. BUT for 900 I get the underhood items ONLY. So My question is how well the old system (if i restore it) works. Should I just purchase the whole kit? What are the downfalls of the vaccuum operated originals?

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
John, thanks for the advice. I'm guessing R-12 is no longer availible here. Heck of it
is it worked great when I removed it!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I had the same debate. I decided to go with factory stuff under the dash of my 69 and the new stuff under the hood. Mine was not an original a/c car so I bought the stuff from ebay. While re-furbing the components, I replaced the heater core, all seals, and the evaporator (most places sell high-efficiency replacements so you can use 134 with no loss of cooling). I haven't installed it yet, so I don't yet know if I made the right choice, but I thought I would save a few dollars (wrong) and have a factory installation. The little things will eat you alive. The initial purchase of the components wasn't bad, but I have spent quite a bit collecting some of the ducts that were missing.

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
If you need some R12 let me know. I "have a friend" that can get you some for a good price. Probably about 4 cans.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts