Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today my transmission won't shift into reverse (its worked for the previous 37 years or so). If you visual the "H" shift pattern reverse is to the left and down. The shifter simply won't go far enough left. All the other gears work fine. There are no odd noises or vibrations. What do I need to check/do?

It is a 65 289 V8 T-10 4 speed, orginal equipment.

Thanks in advance.

John Harvey

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Start with removing the linkage from the Reverse arm on the shifter. Put the Transmission in Neutral and see if you can shift it into reverse by hand. Probably, if you can't move it to the left far enough, it is probably in the shifter.
Look for trash, nuts, bushings, rubber, dirt, dead mice, etc hoding the shifter from moving to the left.

Oops I thought you had a Hurst shifter. Maybe the reverse lockout is not disengaging?

Paul

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
Is your shifter real sloppy?

I just went through this same thing and found the po had used some odd washers & spacers off of who knows what, over and under the shifter. As the nuts that bolts the shifter to the tranny loosened up a bit, the shifter could be moved over all the way to go into reverse, but where it mount at the base would not, since the shifter was loose. I think the proper bolt kit was like $15 bucks, but the mustang shop was out. So I had another shifter and proper bolts on a T-10 laying around, and went ahead and replaced mine with it since it was in better shape.

You might want to take a look at that first, as it's a easy fix if that's the problem.

G

·
0 Posts
if you have the orig ford shifter,id have to say that lock out for reverse is not pulling up far enough when you pull up on the levers on the handle, the T part
the easy way to check is to just back off the 2 shifter handle bolts [1/2 inch socket]under shift boot.
it will be prety loose.
what happens is the detent cable,over the years gets longer, then it wont let the shifter slide over for reverse
see if that helps dave

·
Premium Member
829 Posts
I agree with 76BKGT. The cable inside the shift handle is stretched and will not let the dog at the base of the shift handle get into the clearance hole. This prevents your handle from going far enough to the left.
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts