Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 68 fastback with a 351c. I just put in a new alternator harness, new wiring from the headlights to the firewall and I bought a brand new alternator, which was tested 15 minutes before I installed it and it was charging at 14+. I hooked up everything up and at my battery I only get 12.55 reading on a volt meter. Can someone help me with where the problem might becoming from? I have a DUI electric dist. This problem is killing me and I cant figure the problem out. I fried my last alternator could the problem be in my volt regulator? Is there a way I can test it to see if it is good or has been fried?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you even remotely suspect your voltage regulator (and it sounds like a likely candidate), you might think about replacing it. They're pretty inexpensive.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
I'm having the same problem with my 351c

I put a new 65amp alt in this morning and added a new voltage regulator and it still only sends about 12.5 when running. I am planning on replacing the selenoid (sp?) next and checking the wiring in the volt reg harness. The old voltage reg had 2 ground wires dngling out of the harness near it and I grounded them....hmmmm......that was when this problem started.......

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
solenoid has nothing to do with charging - save your money. check your wiring out and if you do not know what dangling wires are it is best to leave them alone or verify where they go or if they are unused in you car. PM me if you want me to look at your wiring -will need year of car if not in bio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts