148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is what I have:

- 1965 Mustang
- 347 Stroker
- Tremec TKO Transmission
- Quicktime Scattershield (P/N RM-6065)
- Master Power Brakes Brake Booster and Dual-Res Master Cylinder

I originally planned on using the stock clutch linkage setup on the car. However, I just discovered that witht he Quicktime bellhousing that I need to use a cable clutch setup.

My first question is do you guys recommed using a cable clutch or hydraulic clutch (if even possible with my setup)? Second, what are you recommendations for cable or hydraulic clutch kits?

·
Registered
8,138 Posts
Mustang Steve has a really nice cable set up available. I bought the quadrant, welded it to my pedal and stopped with the project at that time. I'm now "changing gears" and going to install a hydraulic system. And the only reason is just to clean up the engine bay and not have the clutch cable there.
I'm planning on using the Modern Drive Line system, but you first need to contact them with a measurement of your booster. One member here tried to use Mustang Steve's booster and it was too large in diameter and would not clear the clutch master cylinder.

·
Registered
8,661 Posts
The sticking point with a cable clutch is headers. Are you running long tube headers? Clearance between the header tubes with the cable is PIA and often melts the cables. I'm using a hydraulic setup on mine (hooker longtubes) and I just ran the hydraulic hose down the firewall and through the clutch fork opening. You do have the possibility of the hydraulic system failing and leaving you stranded (been there, done that), so keep that in mind.

·
Registered
155 Posts
FYI, guys... The MustangSteve cable clutch kit has recently been improved with a longer cable. It runs from the firewall, under the export brace then around the oil filter area, then alongside the oil pan to the bellhousing. As long as your headers do not block the required access to the bellhousing cable stop, there won't be any heat issues with the cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts