Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased the universal ididit tilt column. The instructions say to use a 3/4" 36 spline. The u joint is 3/4" bit the ididit column is less than 3/4", so the u joint doesnt fit snug.

Shouldnt it be snug enough that the splines lock? Right now i can freely turn the u joint.

Thanks
Walter

Attachments

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I also just purchased an IDIDIT universal column. The 36 spline x 3/4" fits snug on my column. The 3/4" part is for the Double D bar that is installed from the column u-joint to the u-joint of the steering rack. Are you saying the that the 36 spline u-joint part is just free wheeling in the column 36 spline? If so then that is not supposed to be like that at all as it is a very tight fit.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It spins freely. My assumption is that the splines should batch up and be snug. On the other column i have to tap the u joint on and wiggle it off. Im using a generic u joint a buddy had laying around.

·
Premium Member
7,544 Posts
Your best resolve is to contact their Tech support. Also, it's always a good point to include the year of your Mustang, if in deed, it is a Mustang, If you add this info. to your signature, you won't have to be asked in the future, There may be others who have "been there done that"and can offer their experiences.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
It spins freely. My assumption is that the splines should batch up and be snug. On the other column i have to tap the u joint on and wiggle it off. Im using a generic u joint a buddy had laying around.
That is true, it should be very snug. I ordered an IDIDIT steel universal joint part number 3000013449 and received an Borgeson Universal Steering U-Joints 013449. You can google where to purchase it.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
What diameter is the column? Did you could the splines by hand on it? Its possible the wrong instructions are included

1 - 7 of 7 Posts