Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I really like the stance of this coupe and fastback. How would I go about achieving this.

Could I get away with coil over in front, mid eye leafs with a lowering block in back, and 18” wheels? Or, do you think the wheels in back are 20”?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Lowering our cars is possible but it’s hit or miss especially with exhaust options headers will drag this is my car with stock front and 5 leaf reverse eyes

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
IMHO, yeah, it looks great but it would be non-streetable because of inadequate ground clearance.... you would definitely tear something up. The only way to achieve this in a streetable car is to go to an airbag suspension where you could slam it when parked

·
Registered
49 Posts
IMHO, yeah, it looks great but it would be non-streetable because of inadequate ground clearance.... you would definitely tear something up. The only way to achieve this in a streetable car is to go to an airbag suspension where you could slam it when parked
Not true at all, if you do it right you can have it super low and never scrape on anything. I did a lot or work tucking exhaust higher and have my car on TCI and ride tech suspension, I can lower it about 2” lower than what it is in this picture and the only thing that rubbed was the long tube header flange pulling into my garage (has a cement lip off an incline). My buddies foxbody sits higher than mine and his exhaust rubs on everything from speed bumps, etc. mine never has. It just takes work.
To the OP you need to determine what you want, the last car has airbags on it, and the first one probably just has coil overs in front, in my opinion the first car has way to much rake and isnt balanced, it needs lowered in rear or raised in front. I have ride tech coilovers all the way around, and tci front and 3 link rear suspension. It was well worth it and very good quality. I have about $9000 into suspension and brakes alone which all came as a kit, but mine is very functional, I autocross and race my car. Also my wheels are 18”.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Not true at all, if you do it right you can have it super low and never scrape on anything. I did a lot or work tucking exhaust higher and have my car on TCI and ride tech suspension, I can lower it about 2” lower than what it is in this picture and the only thing that rubbed was the long tube header flange pulling into my garage (has a cement lip off an incline). My buddies foxbody sits higher than mine and his exhaust rubs on everything from speed bumps, etc. mine never has. It just takes work.
To the OP you need to determine what you want, the last car has airbags on it, and the first one probably just has coil overs in front, in my opinion the first car has way to much rake and isnt balanced, it needs lowered in rear or raised in front. I have ride tech coilovers all the way around, and tci front and 3 link rear suspension. It was well worth it and very good quality. I have about $9000 into suspension and brakes alone which all came as a kit, but mine is very functional, I autocross and race my car. Also my wheels are 18”.
View attachment 773687
Nice hood ornament!

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
View attachment 773687
I agree. Venom, i dont remember ever seeing any post about your car on here. Show it off a little damn. looks like a badass ride !

·
Registered
555 Posts
I think getting the look you want is easy; getting the look you want that also performs well is a challenge. :) I have my stance the way I like it, and I think it's a balance of looks and performance. Low cost would be shelby drop and blocks in the rear. It can get out of control in cost from there. I am running a rod and custom motorsports front and rear suspension set-up with QA1 coilovers. $5 or $6K in parts. Plus brakes. It adds up quickly. Bags would be another option although I don't have any experience with them.

Here is how mine sits:

As you can see here, it all tucks up nicely with plenty of clearance:

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
In upstate NY thse cars wouldn't last - at least where I lived, unless you are very careful where you drive and know the area. Here in FL it would be fine. I've got scars on my RR pan adn my subframe connectors have seen action. I can picture a few RR crossings that might highside those, definitely leave an impression...

·
Registered
67 Posts
So,

Just like what has been said above. It really depends what your intensions are with the car. Mine was built with Some vintage racing in mind so it's basically original style components.

Lowered about 2-2.5" I drive it on the street rides great and even handles better!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I agree. Venom, i dont remember ever seeing any post about your car on here. Show it off a little damn. looks like a badass ride !
Thanks, I dont get on here much, i scroll occassionally but honestly my free time Im working on the car most. Its getting freshened up at the moment. I can do a thread about it if it would interest people no problem, I built the car in my garage with just me and my kids occasional help. Its just your basic 1000hp street car..... lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The intent for the car is simply to have a fun Sunday cruiser. No racing, just something fun to drive to the local car shows.

I have had a few different cars that were very low, even bagged,and driving a lowered car isn’t a big deal for me.

so, coil overs seem to be the way to go? Can I get Away with coil overs infront and blocks in the back?

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
From a handling perspective, if the lower control arms inner pivot is lower than the ball joint pivot, you can set yourself up for some issues including excessive camber, bump steer and excessive roll in cornering. It pays to check the suspension geometry before going too low.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The intent for the car is simply to have a fun Sunday cruiser. No racing, just something fun to drive to the local car shows.

I have had a few different cars that were very low, even bagged,and driving a lowered car isn’t a big deal for me.

so, coil overs seem to be the way to go? Can I get Away with coil overs infront and blocks in the back?
You will not be able to go that low with a stock style suspension just adding coil overs. Even if you were able to get the look you wanted your suspension geometry would be so off it would not only drive like crap but could potentially be dangerous. If I were you, I would start out with 2” drop spindles in the front, buy some drop springs and good struts for the front. The rear blocks and a drop leaf. See if you like it. Putting coil overs on Is not going the cheap route, you need to put a shock tower brace in at the very least. I always hated putting the weight of car/motor etc on the shock towers only with a smaller footprint on the Coil over

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
You will not be able to go that low with a stock style suspension just adding coil overs. Even if you were able to get the look you wanted your suspension geometry would be so off it would not only drive like crap but could potentially be dangerous. If I were you, I would start out with 2” drop spindles in the front, buy some drop springs and good struts for the front. The rear blocks and a drop leaf. See if you like it. Putting coil overs on Is not going the cheap route, you need to put a shock tower brace in at the very least. I always hated putting the weight of car/motor etc on the shock towers only with a smaller footprint on the Coil over
I AGREE!!!!!

but then agin, with some of the comments..."What do I know"...Ha!!!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
View attachment 773687
Nice red on red.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
I use Ridetech's Air Ride. Keeping a ride height low is nice but won't clear many speed bumps and steep driveways. Having the ability to raise the car on demand is a nice option.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts